1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More cuts at USA Today?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Sep 3, 2014.

1. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Don't confuse USAT print with online. The print product is much, much better than it was 3 years ago.

2. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Seconded. Website is horribly designed if you're looking for the top-end content. But what goes into the paper is actually pretty darned good.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yeah, the website sucks.
    And it doesn't load properly on iPad.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Effin' hyperactive. Page won't sit still. Stuff popping up from the left, from the bottom, wherever. Makes me afraid to click on anything, lest the whole house o' cards goes down or I end up three pages removed from what I wanted to see in the first place. Calm your ass down. You're a Web page. Everyone has one.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Just followed w/ 5 accounts I control. Good luck.

As for the other points -- it takes the most rudimentary of observers to discover how many fake followers someone has. A program like Manageflitter.com is great at it...but really, you can just sort by post time -- spam accounts tend to all post at the same time.

But buying fake accounts on Twitter leads to you getting a huge boost on Google relevence, so your profile can go up legitimately in the eyes of Google by buying non-legitimate followers. So in essence, it's worth it.

Here's more on that:

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-0601-lotan-buying-followers-20140601-story.html

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Let's be clear: USA Today sports is better than it's been in some time in terms of content.

7. awriter

awriter Active Member

Why? They had mass layoffs a few years ago. If I remember right, they laid off about 100 people the same week they gave the outgoing CEO like a $30-$40 million buyout.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Still shedding what they might consider disproportionate salaries. One of the people who got dumped was a crucial support staffer - who had been there since I left in 1991. God knows what she was making, and she earned every penny, but they can make a new hire a half (or way less) the price. There's simply no "loyalty metric," or I might still be there.

9. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

The layoffs or buyouts a couple years ago were all part of restructuring. That's a lot different than cutting salary to save money.

10. jojoblack

jojoblack Active Member

Uh, yeah, if you say so.

There was minimal "restructuring" done.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm hoping this is sarcastic.

12. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Did you see how many people were hired? They weren't exactly cheap hires either.

Draft saved Draft deleted