1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Cuts at ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Mar 7, 2017.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

Chris and Billy are my favorite people on the show. So happy he's back. Beautiful move by Dan.

Mngwa likes this.
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That's the Dan I know when I worked with him many years ago at 1 Herald Plaza. Classy.

FileNotFound, sgreenwell and Mngwa like this.
  3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Sam, I knew Hays a long time ago. Really good guy. I wish the best for all affected.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

We've discussed here that Newsday roster with Maisel, Verducci, Peter King, Marty Noble, I think Jan Hubbard and more that I'm forgetting. I was pretty spoiled growing up in Queens.

Liut likes this.
  5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

And they opened the pocketbooks for Lupica in the mid '90s, back when his peak was still visible in his rearview mirror. Pretty good paper.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Here as gracious an exit as you’ll see:

Guy_Incognito and Mngwa like this.
  7. TheSportsPredictor

An excellent baseball writer shown the door. He worked for 538, which is owned by ESPN, which transferred it under ABC News awhile ago:

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Post-election executions for fivethirtyeight. Can't say it's shocking.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

One of their terminated, Clare somebody, was trending on Twitter yesterday so I noticed that she did something clever: she threaded beneath her “I am free agent” announcement links to her best clips accompanied by elevator pitches about each one. Good idea that people like Travis should emulate.

10. TheSportsPredictor

Travis did the same thing. Or did Clare do the same thing as Travis?

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That was part of the ABC News layoffs which we haven’t talked about yet.

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Wow. I didn’t see this news yesterday. That seems like a major misstep. I mostly take in 538 via their podcast and Clare was a strong, insightful voice on there, and obviously the only woman. That podcast will really suffer, and I assume the site will, as well.

I had a friend who worked there who was put off by gender equality issues. Laying off their most prominent woman is not a good step.

Donny in his element likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted