1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Cuts at ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Mar 7, 2017.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

America needed Greenberg's opinion.

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Serious question. Why didn't you just pull the highlights off the internet?

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I have a 65 inch high definition television. I have a DVR which eliminates the need to watch a single commercial. I am not going to watch highlights on my phone. My son does that and good for him. You also have to put up with anywhere between a 15 and 30 second commercial when you watch the highlights on your phone. F*** that.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Earlier in this thread, PC load letter made good points about justifying Greenberg and beadle's salary. Based on my viewer preferences, the friends I talk to, and what I read on the internet, there is one person in sports television who people genuinely like. Kay Adams of good morning football.

5. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Perhaps I'm lazy, but I don't like having to click on 20 different videos to see everything I want to see. It's convenient to have MLB Quick Pitch in the background playing all the replays one after the other.

I've lamented before that while the Internet has made following a sport very deeply much easier, if that's what you want to do, it's also made it much more difficult to casually follow a sport if you're strapped for time. Sure, I can click out 15 different box scores to get the most detailed stats for every game. But, for me, at least, it doesn't replace the simplicity and ease of the baseball agate page.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Serious question. What United States newspaper still has late enough deadlines and enough space to print the preceding night's box scores on an agate page?

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Star-Advertiser....in Honolulu. Or the Anchorage paper. Don't know if they have the space.

8. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Washington Post, except for the late-night, west coast scores.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Actually saw the print version of the Denver Post the other day and it had box scores.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Our paper did until they shitcanned AP and the agate service we got to replace it folded.

One paper I know that won’t kill agate till the apocalypse strikes is the one in Little Rock. They used to loves them some agate, but I understand they’ve had a change in leadership since last fall.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

538 and Nate Silver leaving ESPN and moving to ABC News.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Why didn't Disney put them in ABC News from the start?

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted