1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More cutbacks coming at the Tampa Bay Times?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thesportsscribe, Sep 18, 2014.

1. joe king

joe king Active Member

And to keep from having to pay them severance.

2. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Those exact words -- "time to bail" -- almost certainly were not used, but the Times' executives are definitely using language and speaking in terms they've never used before. Even Paul Tash's letter to the staff was dire: "If this long, difficult stretch has tested your commitment to the Times or the newspaper business, this is a good time to consider your options."

3. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

People who were there said there was no formal group meeting, rather opportunities to discuss with various managers. So maybe it was said in one of those smaller sessions. Certainly that is the message though. To management's credit, if you ask, they are telling employees where they stand. I'm a 4901stAveSGrad as well. Have many friends who will be impacted.

4. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Same with me. I received an offer there about 20 years ago and it was such a good operation then that I hated to turn it down.

With the Miami Herald's gradual implosion over the years and Tribune's evisceration of the Orlando Sentinel, the Times clearly has been the best paper in Florida for quite some time. I'm acquainted with a few people there and my heart goes out to them.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Employers are not required to pay severance. Unless specifically stated in either an employment contract or as a matter of policy (if the company handbook says they pay severance, then you have a right to litigate for it).

6. joe king

joe king Active Member

I'd say that pretty much translates to "time to bail."

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Of course. But as someone who still enjoys the work, it's tough to hear. We all know we should be looking to bail. I'd rather not have the prospect hanging over my head while I am looking. But I guess the prospect is always over our heads.

8. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I've lost track of how many times people have told me they hope they're let go in the next round because it forces them to move on. They want out, but they won't ever leave on their own. I completely get that.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

That's where I'm at. Still love the work, and I'd be in deep doo-doo if I got whacked. But I'd probably be better off in the long run. At least it seems like most of my former co-workers have found that to be the case.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I probably never would have left the newspaper business on my own. But I just hit my three year anniversary here, I'm making more money than I ever did at any newspaper job and every year I've been here, I've been given a raise and a year-end bonus.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Raise? Bonus? Shit, I've been getting pay CUTS, like many folks.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

And that's why you should be working on getting out.

Draft saved Draft deleted