1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More CNHI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by beanpole, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah Colton, I hear where you're coming from and understand.

People are going to have to understand that you can't do the same amount of work with 4 people as you can with 5. If 1/5th of your staff is on furlough half the time, that's the same as having a smaller staff.

I reached a point where I had had enough of pouring my heart and soul into a product that management didn't care about. I wasn't going to get anything more in terms of raises or promotions. All I could even aspire to was personal satisfaction. I got what I needed in terms of experience and clips. Staying around another year or two wasn't going to make anything better. In fact, all the restrictions meant I wasn't going to be able to do as much good work as I had done previously.

I suspect a lot of people will soon come to the same conclusion. Unless you are desperate for what little money there is --- and honestly believe you can't get a job doing anything else --- there are less and less reasons to stay.

2. Hey Diaz!

Hey Diaz! Member

Yeah, this is exactly right.

We still get our five furlough days, but at least non-salaried employees are allowed to shift their days around -- two here, two there, another the next month -- and lessen the sting. Add the fact that non-salaried folks are eligible for overtime and we're not, and you quickly come to the conclusion there is absolutely NO reason to become a salaried worker with CNHI.

It's beyond bullshit ... it's borderline criminal. I mean, where's the incentive?

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Which is why the execs are laughing all the way to the bank. They don't care about the product and they're the ones making the most money.

This reminds me of one time when some national news had broken and our editor called up wanting one of us to write a local reaction. He went around to each of us on the desk, and we all took a stand and told him we didn't have time for it, and we each listed our myriad duties that we already were doing that night. When it came time for him to try to persuade me, I did the same thing, and the editor, after grumbling, told me to transfer him to the next guy.

Me: "I can't."

Editor: "Why not?"

Me: "He's on furlough today."

Editor: "Oh."

Needless to say, the story wasn't done. In other words, less time equals less work.

4. Colton

Colton Active Member

I am attempting, with all the might I can muster, to hold on to the remnants of my "want to." It's about the only thing -- other than the non-whole paycheck -- that hasn't been completely taken... yet. But that day is coming, soon, I surmise.

5. slotman1

slotman1 New Member

Hearing that things are not going well at CNHI's Tonowanda hub. Anyone have details?

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, wow, color me surprised. What could possibly go wrong? [/bluefont]

7. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Demand all you want there Mark. I'm sure they'll just write a check after asking "now how much do you need?" You realize what thread you're on...this isn't McClatchy.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Hearing through the grapevine of a bloodbath in Meridian, Miss.
    Can't remember all the numbers, but heard the entire staff is being gutted and printing is moving to Jackson. Can anyone confirm?

9. Colton

Colton Active Member

Sending as many positive thoughts their way as possible. Since they lopped our pressroom months ago, our place is like ghost town at night.

10. slotman1

slotman1 New Member

Looks like CNHI is really gutting its Mississippi holdings. Meridian is about 60 miles up the interstate from Laurel, the daily they shut down in March. And Jackson is something like 90 miles west of Meridian. Good luck with that -- 200 miles a day is not exactly a doable commute for most people.

11. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Does anyone in this company see CNHI ever getting away frmo the furlough? Is there ever a meeting to discuss this or is it simply memo instruction without any feedback?

12. Colton

Colton Active Member

Simply, The Memo. No one I know expects it to end... ever.

Draft saved Draft deleted