1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More "Christian" Idiocy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Oct 5, 2006.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I have a feeling Hell is actually quite opposite to what a person is used to. For city folks, it'll resemble Doc Hollywood. For hicks? Welcome to New York, baby!

2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

With the Republican majorities in the U.S. House and Senate in danger, expect plenty more of this kind of thing.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yep . . . clock's close to striking twelve for much of the prevailing major-league whoring.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

So anyone who raises a Christianity-based objection to a book is the willing accomplice or unwitting dupe of the Republican/fundamentalist shadow government that has overwhelmed every aspect of American culture with hyperconservative Christian principles? That would explain why NBC has This Is Your Day slotted to replace ER in their 10 p.m. Thursday slot.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Here's my blunt answer to Christian conservatives who want to hijack public curriculum:

Start your own fucking schools and teach whatever the hell you want. That method works just fine for every other religious faith, why must Christian conservatives foist their beliefs on the public system, where in my opinion, your religious biases have no place?

Start your own damn schools! And until you do, the kid who won't read Ray Fucking Bradbury gets a F. I don't think the Bible says do only the work you think God approves, so the excuse that God Smoted My Homework wouldn't fly in my classroom.

It's time for schools to start staring these idiots down.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I bleive they call it Sunday Worship Services. And they do it week on Sunday and sometimes on Wednesday. And, if you can get 10 Jews together at sunset, they'll do it everyday.

Why don't you call the Cathederal School in D.C. a Madras? Can we at least acknowldge the difference in degrees and intents. I'm no big fan of Christianity, you know about the Inquisition and the Holocaust, right. The 99% of the antagonists were all born Christian. But please.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Alton's probably never read a book in his life. Well, maybe the Bible. But not the hard parts.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Hijack the curriculum? Come now. We can debate the issue of whether the school should take this one book off the reading list (I'd say no, because it's not going to be the most racy thing most kids read this week, let alone this season), but the guy's not trying to replace every book in the school with a KJV 1611. People can complain about reading list entries for all sorts of reasons -- religious and otherwise -- and they're within their rights to do so. Doesn't mean the school board has any obligation to give them credence, and we don't have to agree with them, but every self-identified believer in Jesus Christ who follows through on their faith to make a stand on something -- even if they're not doing it 100 percent right -- is not the moral equivalent of a Christian Reconstructionist (Google or Wikipedia that, then get back to me about this apparent attempt to "hijack the curriculum")

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not sure I understand your point, h-a.

When I say Christian Right, I mean the bible thumpers who try to impose their will on public policy, not what they tell their flock on Sunday morning.

10. This guy is not the "moral equivalent" of a Christian Reconstructionist.
    He is a Christian Reconstructionist. Period.
    Where, by the way, are all the rules-are-rules types who understand why kids get sent home for wearing anti-war T-shirts?

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I've heard a lot of Christians and other conservatives remark that if anyone was required to read a book that was insulting to Islam in school and an Islamic family complained, the book would be removed from the reading list.
    Not sure if that's a valid point or not.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

MM, if it were just "this one book" it would be a simple case closed. However, you compound this with the other movement to insert bullshit wrapped up as "intelligent design."

Taken individually, it isn't a big deal and something that is debated, but as a whole it shows a broader issue. For all the talk people have on the "gay-agenda" there actually seems like a legitimate "Christian-agenda."

Draft saved Draft deleted