1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More cheaters exposed ... Matt Williams?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Nov 6, 2007.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3096834

I was surprised to see Matt Williams linked to using HGH. Guess I shouldn't be surprised by anyone at this point, but that was my initial reaction.

I have to admit, I'm curious who will be named in the Mitchell Report, but somehow, I doubt there will be any real bombshells. I don't think we're going to see a Pujols or A-Rod caliber player in there.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I wasn't really surprised. Guy went from a decent third baseman with little contact and some pop to a .600 slugger. Coincidentally, his batting average jumped 70 points and his slugging almost 200 in 1993, Bonds' first year in SF.

3. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Ken Caminiti, Matt Williams, Jose Canseco. I think we need to take a look at all past MVPs.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'd say that probably had more to do with Bonds hitting behind him than any PEDs (if what we've read about Bonds' usage is to be believed; that it started after the 1998 season).

He also hit 30+ homers in consecutive years before Bonds arrived, so I don't know if you can say he had "some pop." But yes, he did have a jump in slugging percentage for about four years (1993-96, .561, .607, .647, .510).

I think I was just surprised because he's kind of out of sight out of mind. I think of him as more of an early '90s guy, before all this crap really got going (as far as we know). I never think of his career much beyond his SF days.

5. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

At least he was married to that hot chick from Blame It On Rio.

6. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Demi Moore?

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Michelle Johnson
    Michelle Johnson

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Michelle Johnson

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Must be an echo in here

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

In that movie, Michelle Johnson is worth two mentions. Her beach scenes were outrageous.

11. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Yes, some of the more underrated "acting" of the 1980s. Just tremendous.

And, to me, as natural as Ms. Johnson seemed in that film, Williams' spike and sudden decline seemed to mark him as a prime candidate for PED outing.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

What a bad movie.

Draft saved Draft deleted