1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More changes coming at the Sun-Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

The six Tribune papers (Orlando, Fort Lauderdale, Hartford, Baltimore, Allentown, Newport News) are running pages designed and edited by Tribune staffers. These pages are in the Tribune design but are not running in Chicago.
    All the papers have CCI. Stories can be swapped out but the design styles are not changed because that would be time consuming.
    For the half pages, local ads are used. Also, if there is additional space on the page, like a one column hole, non-Chicago staffers edit the copy and it's presented in Tribune style.
    One of the Tribune papers is splitting the full page into two halves.
    Tribune papers ran portions of Chicago's inauguration preview in its design.
    Wouldn't be surprised other newspaper chains start doing this, especially Gannett with its 80 or so papers. And it will spread to other sections. Like all papers running the same national baseball page. Entire sections could be picked up.

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

A paper like Orlando could eliminate at least one shift per night by not having somebody working inside-A copy.

3. VJ

VJ Member

And running a Gannett or Tribune wire baseball page each night would certainly eliminate one position in the sports dept.

Realistically, all you would need to do is sub out your local team (if you have one) from the roundup and you're good to go.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

It sucks and I don't like it but I can understand it.

If the inside national-international wire copy is not being localized, the story used in Chicago is the same as Lauderdale and Orlando. Package that page or two and ship it out.

Edit the pages, change the fonts if necessary and move along.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The wire-story pecking order wouldn't necessarily be the same in cities a couple thousand miles apart, nor would the choice of news and how it is written and presented. Unless you are just throwing shit into the paper, which hasn't been the case on papers that size, the desk is customizing wire content to its readers' particular interests and needs. No one runs the entire wire, and which national/international stories get selected, and how they are edited, should vary from town to town.

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I understand your point, Frank. Lauderdale obviously would might more about South American interests than someone in Chicago.

It appears someone in their management believes
    will get the job done for them so they can shuttle off pages and 'streamline.'

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

My banker this morning heard from a 30+-year S-S employee that cuts may come today.

I still put the reliability at 50-50, but who's to doubt it?

Chrissakes

8. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

The last Friday of the month seems like a logical time to do it. Sun-Sentinel mangers talked just a couple of weeks ago about more axings to come.

9. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

We are already there.

I believe the shift away from strong reporting in the early 2000s helped mOe things crumble quicker. Newspapers give readers more reasons to turn away every day.

Less quality and editing. Fewer staffed events. Higher price.

In my circulation area, more and more readers have grown tired of the large newspaper company pocketing any profit made by the local newspaper while our product is left to die. The savings are passed on to the suits.

If the business ideology doesn't change, I don't want to see things get better. That greed should not be rewarded. Instead I pray we can all find different jobs with better pay, less stress, fewer hours and more time with family.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's interesting. Every time there are rumored changes at the S-S, someone PMs me (a different person each time) telling me a certain writer is gone. That writer is still there and hopefully will continue to be there.

11. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I have heard that they are targeting copy editors and designers as opposed to writers.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

With the growing number of pages that seem to be coming from the Tribune -- and look completely different than the paper they're in, the whole thing is so strange -- that would make unfortunate sense.

Draft saved Draft deleted