1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More changes coming at the Sun-Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Feb 4, 2009.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Sigh.

Posting these kinds of things to keep everybody up to date is what we do here, but geez, it's getting depressing. So I apologize to those this further depresses.

Some more changes coming at the Sun-Sentinel. They're going to start importing "pods" of news pages from the Tribune directly into the Sun-Sentinel news pages, mostly on national and international news. So, according to this, the Sentinel will be running pages with Tribune typefaces. This after a big redesign.

They're doing away with the "Fit" section because it isn't making money. It hasn't been around all that long. It's going to fold into sports.

Other changes coming, too. Believe it or not, I'm glad they're keeping the awards. A bright spot in the gloom, as far as I'm concerned.

Again, sorry. If we've reached the point where we really don't need all this kind of thing here, I understand:

http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/pulp/2009/02/party_on_sun-sentinel.php

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

An editing peer says she read the Sunday Sun-Sentinel and noticed lots of shared content, including a "new administration" section with stories from the Tribune's Washington bureau. Using collective copy is one thing, but importing templates with another paper's typeface sounds a little jarring.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yeah, one has been around for a while. The other -- I don't think I'm going to like it.

I'm sure I've got a renewal notice coming -- this might be it for me.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Their Sunday section used to be among the best in the business. I haven't seen it in a couple years, but I'm guessing it's not even close to what it used to be.

It will be interesting to see what other changes happen, especially if The Herald folds as many fear it will.

5. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

"Earl also stressed that the future is LOCAL, LOCAL, LOCAL, even moreso than we already are."

Great, more original ideas.

One commenter gets an A+ in reading comprehension: "Let's recap: there's going to be less space, less design initiative, more pre-packaged (expletive) shared across the nation and fewer reporters covering municipalities -- but the future is 'local, local, local' and we need interns! If you can save one copyeditor's job by not subjecting a college boy or girl to this (expletive) maze, you'll be doing a real public service."

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I want to work for that reader.

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

At what point does "local, local, local" become too much?

The next step is, literally, covering the little leagues and garden club meetings and things weekly newspapers do. Are the daily papers becoming grander weeklies?

What a sad state of affairs.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Don't know if it's true, can only go visually, but I believe my A section today had a page that might have been from the Tribune. The typefaces certainly looked subtlely different.

Anybody who can confirm or deny this is the case, I'd be interested to know.

9. VJ

VJ Member

They're doing this at the Baltimore Sun as well.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

This is the Clear Channel-ization of newspaper content, thanks to Zell's radio mongols.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Three Tribune pages in today's Sun-Sentinel A section. All "Nation/World"

While many typeface changes are subtle, the quote outs aren't even close to the same style. Gee, so much for those 358 memos we got from Design Director making sure that we use the proper style and spacing for cutlines and quote outs.

And, of course, any errors spotted cannot be fixed.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

How'd that work out for Clear Channel? [/rhetorical]

Draft saved Draft deleted