1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More bloodletting in Durham

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SportsGuyBCK, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Owensboro is going to do all those papers as well? Holy crap. That's crazy.

2. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

No
    Not yet -- I'm in Lenoir, and we've heard nothing about the pagination/copy editing being moved ... yet ... same with High Point and the other small papers (we print Forest City and Monroe) ...

3. SportsGuyBCK

Another thing, if they're adding staff in Owensboro to handle the additional workload, they're being awfully quiet about it interally ... usually, all openings at other Paxton papers are posted at the other papers, but I've seen nothing coming from Owensboro about paginators ...

4. Tarheel316

The idea that Paxton would ever ADD staff seems like an oxymoron.

5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

We see fewer and fewer full-time guys on the NASCAR beat because of the print implosion, but this, NASCAR Scene and National Speed Sport News are the ones that really bring it home.

I was sitting here, thinking about the Herald-Sun staff when I was there, which was just after the papers merged:

Jimmy DuPree, Craig Holt, Lee Montgomery and Joe Mustian on the desk, Pott-Pott with the Bulls, Al Featherson on the Duke beat, Eddy Landrith with UNC and golf, Frank doing columns, Lee handling State and NASCAR, Jemal Horton on NCCU, Elson Armstrong on community sports, Jim Furlong doing UNC soccer and preps, I can't remember the other man's name who did Durham high schools (funny man who loved food), Joe Johnson on agate and I did IceCaps and filled for Mike at the DAP when he needed a break.

That seemed like the right size staff for a paper with that many key beats. To imagine them putting out a daily paper in Durham now with as many guys as I had at the Rocky Mount Telegram blows my mind.

And yeah, Frank was a trip. He pretty much had no idea who I was when I was a lowly desker at the Herald. But when I started covering N.C. State for the Telegram, he'd come up and talk my ear off like I was his best friend ever.

6. SportsGuyBCK

If they're NOT adding staff to handle the additional papers, then they're setting themselves up for the same thing that's happening with the Media General operation in Hickory -- namely, constantly having to hire and train because people either get fed up or can't handle the workload ...

7. Tarheel316

Hickory is definitely a mess. I haven't talked to Chris Hobbs lately but he can't be too happy about it.

8. And yet when you talk to the suits and try to point out the problems with these centers, they claim they're all raging success stories.

9. Tarheel316

Lone star, sad but true. I once worked for a Paxton paper so I speak from experience. One time these four suits swept in from Kentucky to pay us a visit. It looked like a scene out of the Godfather.

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

In the Godfather, I doubt they were firing the guns at their own feet.

I hear that the Herald-Sun will in fact hire a replacement for the UNC beat writer (whose last day is today). But if they've advertised the opening, I haven't seen it.

11. SportsGuyBCK

They had the opening posted at the other Paxton papers (however, they had the year wrong in both the posting date and deadline date) ...never saw anything on the jobs boards, though ...

12. Neil Amato

Neil Amato New Member

I stand corrected about them hiring. It still baffles me that Joe Johnson was let go when they knew about the other departures, which, at the time, brought the number of full-time sports people to three.

Draft saved Draft deleted