1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More bad news from Kansas City

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by kingcreole, Sep 28, 2006.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

First, Buddy Bell has cancer. Now, it was reported on the Royals telecast tonight that Buck O'Neil is getting worse. He is still in the hospital, surrounded by friends, but they're saying Buck is not doing well.

One of baseball's all-time greatest human beings. Hang in there Buck! We're all thinking/praying for you!

2. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Poor KC fans, it seems like it is never going to get better.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

For years I meant to go to the Negro Leagues Museum in the Jaxx district. I read the stories about how Buck O'Neil would come out and tell stories to whoever would listen. The plan was to go during the holidays this year and get my Buck O'Neil memory from the museum (saw him at some Royals games, but no interaction). Guy should have gone into Cooperstown this past summer as an ambassador to the game.

Here's hoping for some good news for both O'Neil and Buddy Bell.

4. Simon

Simon Active Member

Had a chance to sit down one on one with Buck for about 45 minutes and talk. One of the greatest moments of my life.

Sometimes its just time for someone to go. He isn't dying of cancer, losing his mind, forgetting everything. He will pass then we will all get to smile when we read Joe Posnanski's book on the man.

5. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

suckola... get well buddy and buck

my parents got to meet buck a few years ago. said he was incredible.

6. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

My favorite Buck O'Neil sighting was in about 110-degree heat at this "Field of Dreams" place up near St. Joseph, Mo.

We were there to see George Brett, who acted like a spoiled asshole the whole time.

But ther ewas Buck, sitting about 20 feet away, shirt unbuttoned and sagging boobs hanging out for all to see, without a care in the world.

While Brett was grumbling, showed up late and left early, treating everyone like shit, Buck wouldn't sign an autograph for anyone — unless he got a hug.

I also planned to attend the Negro Leagues Museum but never found the time.

Buck is one of my favorite people in the world.

7. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

the negro leagues museum is worth the trip

8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Yes it is. Spent 90 minutes there this summer (Buck was there) and it wasn't nearly enough.

More bad news - Buck's appearently slipping fast.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Fuck the HOF "Special committee" for somehow failing to vote Buck in this year. Yet they managed to strike a condescending-even-by-their-standards tone by allowing him to open the ceremonies. "Here you go, Buck. We somehow overlooked your contributions to the sport, but you can talk to people on the 30th! How's that sound Buck?"

Long after the rest of the town had cleared out, Buck was still signing autographs w/J.R. Richard (whom I didn't recognize until someone pointed him out) on Main Street at about 6 pm induction day. I don't obtain autographs, but I was extremely tempted to do so for Buck. Instead, I shook his hand and told him how much I enjoyed his speech. Definitely one of the most enjoyable moments of my life. He looked and sounded good, but all that traveling can't be good for a man pushing 100.

I hope he beats the odds, and I hope the HOF is sick to its collective stomach over failing to induct the man when it should have.

10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Buck O'Neil is a national treasure. Haven't had the pleasure of meeting him, but hearing him speak always brings a smile.

11. leo1

leo1 Active Member

great point, simon. sometimes people just die of nothing more than old age. i can't think of too many better ways to go.

it'll be a sad day for everyone when he finally dies.

12. One of the only people I ever interviewed who was so fascinating they made me forget to take notes.

Draft saved Draft deleted