1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More antics at the AJC

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bullrog, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Hank

Hank New Member

Copy editor staffing wouldn't surprise me. But the bigger news is that all reporters and editors found out that they will be trained on the new content management system so that posting stories to the web can be automated/done by the authors. That means the AJC, which has always put a premium on online, will make cuts in that department. It's a shame too since that's where a lot of content editors transferred to, thinking it was the safest part of the building to be in.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but do they really need three agate clerks?

3. Those three agate clerks are probably spread over seven shifts in PT roles (such as our shop). Heavy agate days (Tue, Fri, Sat) might get two bodies.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I don't know about Atlanta's needs. But my SE needs were met much easier when I had three - they can't work every day, a couple of them do other things and two were needed on some really heavy days. So, yeah, I imagine Atlanta needs at least three.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Biz section is inside the A in my paper too. I'll never understand papers throwing in the towel on business coverage.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

In a pari-mutuel heavy area, I would say yes.

7. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

I'd told the PT hour reductions go into effect March 6, just as boys and girls hs basketball is headed into the state quarterfinals. Seems like odd timing. Why not wait one more week and make it through the rest of the state tournaments? Man, I hate to see this happen in Atlanta. Growing up in the South, this was the paper I grew up wanting to write for one day.

8. eyecu

eyecu Member

If they've only got three sports people working at night, then yes, they do need three agate clerks.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If they cut all the non-local boxscores and scoreboard page, they might not need three agate clerks.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

Especially now with things in the business world so volatile. I read the section more now than ever.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

This brief period will be roughly analogous to the hours they keep a braindead person "alive" on a respirator long enough to let his loved ones get there and say goodbye.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'm trying to figure this one out. The AJC didn't send anyone to the Super Bowl but they did send someone to annual slave fest aka the NFL combine. Go figure.

Draft saved Draft deleted