1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moralistic blowhards, UNITE!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shotglass, Nov 29, 2006.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Consider this a position paper, I guess.

First it was Tom_Petty. Now cran tried to run this one on me. The late, great Hockey_Goon tried to make an issue of it.

And here's my take on this particular issue:

If I feel like somebody's being an asshole to somebody else on a thread, I don't NEED to be invited into the exchange. I'll say what I want about it. And you're just as free to argue that it was none of my business to comment on it. (Of course, your arguing the point won't make you any less of an asshole, but it may make you feel better.)

I don't know when some people decided that they can turn good threads into flame wars and not get called on it, and I'm not going to watch it silently. I don't need a green light to comment on a thread; none of you do.

Also -- and Goon/Hank/whomever, this is for you -- if I get into a flame war myself, feel free to tell ME I'm being an asshole. It DOES go both ways. It doesn't make me two-faced that I get fed up with some people myself.

And finally, about this moralistic stuff. If you think someone else is being overly moralistic about something, chances are you're not being moralistic ENOUGH about it.

Flame away ... I don't much care tonight.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I agree with you, shotty. There's nothing wrong with chiming in and trying to calm things down.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Someone needs a cookie and a hug.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You two are on my SportsJournalists.com All-Time team.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

This thread sucks. :)

6. pallister

pallister Guest

And it's just plain wrong.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

And this is why I love Shottie. He keeps all of us in line.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

(I actually have no idea what this is about.)

9. Shot is OK but I never liked the coda kitties.

If that makes me a bad person - well tonight I don't care.

Flame away

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/34268/

11. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Me either. I just figured it was because I'd been away. Weirdness.

But as far as I'm concerned, Shot, you're a heck of a guy. And in the immortal words of George W. Bush, you're doin' a heck of a job.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Okay. Well, now I know, and I'm sorry I asked.

A death match over posting manners seems a little bit sad on a thread about newspaper people going on strike, so I will leave the cookies right here (for shotglass only!), and save the hugs for the fine men and women who might end this week on the picket line.

Draft saved Draft deleted