1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mookie Blaylock on life support

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, May 31, 2013.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9338862/mookie-blaylock-charged-vehicular-homicide

2. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

Hope he makes a full recovery or at least recover enough to spend his time behind bars for driving on a suspended license and vehicular homicide.

People who drive on suspended or revoked licenses deserve mandatory jail time. Those who do it which leads to a death of another deserve long prison sentences.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'd read something about the possibility that he'd been known to have seizures. But if he's driving on a suspended license, the seizure excuse becomes moot to me and vehicular homicide is the right call, seizure or not.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Three years for Mookie: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11773840/mookie-blaylock-receives-prison-sentence-fatal-crash

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Ridiculous in its hyperbole.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Maybe Oscar has come to a more enlightened conclusion since he posted
    that 18 Months ago.

Doubtful we will know though since he has not signed on in 6 months. Likely
    has flown the coop.

7. bigpern23

Ha, I didn't even notice how old his post was.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I would say it depends on why the license was suspended or revoked for there to be mandatory jaiil time.

If it was for not paying a speeding ticket, heck no. If it was for multiple DUIs, absolutely.

9. bigpern23

Agreed. That's why the hyperbole was so ridiculous. I admit to (unknowingly) driving on a suspended license because I didn't pay a ticket. The fact that I got a speeding ticket in a different state and later misaddressed the payment after losing the original ticket was hardly worthy of mandatory jail time.

10. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

The article stated he was being treated for a seizure disorder and his license was apparently suspended by medical order.

11. bigpern23

Yup, and he's paying the price, as is the victim's family. But Oscar stated way back when that anyone driving on a suspended license deserves mandatory jail time, which is ludicrous when you consider all the various reasons that a license can be suspended.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

How old was that video of him in court in the wheelchair? Was that from today? What's the current state of his health?

Draft saved Draft deleted