1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Montrose, Colorado

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Charlie Hustle, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Charlie Hustle

Charlie Hustle New Member

Sports Reporter

The position is fulltime, and the opening is immediate. Duties: general assignment sports reporting of local high school sports, sports-related feature writing, and stories for our Outdoors section. Qualified candidates should have a general knowledge of sports reporting, the ability to meet deadlines, and generate sports coverage ideas. Experience with photography and pagination/page design will be considered a plus.

The Montrose Daily Press is an award-winning daily newspaper located on the western slope of Colorado. It has received state and national recognition for its editorial excellence in both print and online reporting. Montrose is near four major ski resorts, and offers plenty of recreational opportunities just minutes from town in the San Juan mountains and surrounding national forests. The Daily Press offers commensurate pay and benefits, including 401K retirement and paid vacation. The Daily Press recently moved into a new three-building, four-acre office/work environment.

Send cover letter, resume, samples of recent work, and references: Bill Swaim, managing editor, Montrose Daily Press, P.O. Box 850, Montrose, CO 81401; or, email: editor@montrosepress.com

Our Web site: www.montrosepress.com

2. Charlie Hustle

any thoughts on this one?

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Far, far away from Denver, in the five-hour range -- if the weather is good. It's on the Western Slope, about an hour due south of Grand Junction. You're near Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park -- and if you've never been, it's spectacular.

The outdoor possibilities are endless. The San Juan Mountains are to the south. Telluride is a bit more than an hour away, as is Ouray, then you're getting in the 2-3-hour range to get to Durango. Silverton (between Ouray and Durango) has some extreme skiing options. In the summer, there are mountain bike trails and hiking trails galore.

I've gone through the town many times on commutes between Denver and the southwestern part of the state where I have a lot of family and it's decent-sized. It's not a one-stoplight town. You're not in the mountains, just near them. I cannot vouch for the paper because I've never seen it.

For reference, Montrose is where NBC Sports chief Dick Ebersol was involved in a plane crash 2 1/2 years ago that killed his son and two others and nearly killed him.

4. WSKY

WSKY Member

'Montrose girls fall to Lady Mean Moose' ... that's the headline on the sports page of the Web site.

5. Charlie Hustle

Am I the only one who cringes any time I see "Lady" used with team names? I mean "Lady Mean Moose?" Even stuff like "Lady Bears" or "Lady Chargers" or "Lady Tigers" gets on my nerves. If the school's mascot is the Mean Moose, just refer to the teams as the Mean Moose.

Now I'll get down off of my soapbox. Thank you very much.

6. WSKY

WSKY Member

It pretty common in the South for obvious reasons, but not so much anywhere else — especially in the West.

Draft saved Draft deleted