1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Monte Carlo hotel on fire in Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by playthrough, Jan 25, 2008.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I don't know how many rooms might be damaged (and, therefore, unusable) with Super Bowl week upon us. Makes for some interesting situations for the hotel; what do you do with all those reservations you might not be able to accommodate?

I'm just guessing; I assume during SB week there's not a decent room to be had.

2. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

My wife and I were supposed to stay at the Monte Carlo this weekend. They took care of things (moved our reservation to Mandalay Bay), but still, it's a bit disconcerting to turn on the news and see the place you're supposed to be in 24 hours on fire.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

it'd probably be more disconcerting to smell smoke.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Sucks for all those people who left everything in their rooms — clothes, cellphones, maybe even wallets and purses — thinking it was a false alarm and they'd be back in a few minutes. I don't know if the building is going to be structurally sound enough to even let anyone back in to retrieve their belongings.

5. Is it my imagination or has Vegas been remarkably catastrophe-free given the density of construction and the number of people there?

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The MGM Grand fire caused a bunch of very strict building codes to go into effect.

7. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Very true. And, unlike many others, we're not still waiting to get our stuff out.

Draft saved Draft deleted