1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Monday in Tampa (UPDATED 3/31)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by reformedhack, Mar 27, 2009.

1. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

New information announced 3/31:

* Tribune to close most, if not all, news bureaus. Will not renew any office leases; will sell its Brandon and Plant City bureaus for cash, according to editor Janet Coats. Displaced reporters and editors to work from downtown Tampa (or, more likely, as mo-jos because the zoned sections will remain).

* Pasco County reporters reportedly told their offices will be closing as well. If you're at all familiar with the market, this is the battleground between the Tribune and St. Pete Times.

* Sunday features section killed.

* Saturday paper to adopt one-section format used Monday through Friday.

* WFLA to end its midday newscast. (Wasn't selling many ads, news director says.)

* WFLA to end its Sunday night Sports Extra show. (Ditto.)

More depressing news as it becomes available.

2. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Where is that blogger girl to tell us everything is OK?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I want to see them try to lure Fennelly behind the anchor desk. ;D

4. reformedhack

He's done a couple of stand-ups for the sportscasts already, albeit driven by an on-air personality, and they were pretty good. Funny feature pieces -- Martin being Martin, that kind of stuff.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

He also does a weekly podcast for the website, which he drives with other writers as guests.

6. reformedhack

And they're pretty good, too.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wow, throwing in the towel on Pasco County is a bad sign indeed.

8. Mizzougrad96

Was he wearing shorts? ;D

9. Mizzougrad96

Who is their Pasco preps writer?

10. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Did they have a full-time preps writer in Pasco still? Both papers had pulled back considerably from the northern counties last I remember.

11. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

All I heard for years from consultants was that Sunday was the only day people had time to read features. So this makes sense.

12. Three years ago it was Joey Knight, Eddie Daniels and Cristina Ledra. Joey left for the Times and Rick Harmon stepped in as Pasco coodinator. Rick and Cristina have left and Eddie was the writer along with Bart O'Connell and Rick Harmon in correspondent mode.

I feel bad for Eddie if he has to cover Pasco from downtown. Eddie also covers boxing. Boxing is not a small-time gig there with Tarver, Winky Wright, Jeff Lacy and Nate Campbell living in the Bay Area.

All of the writers I mentioned there are good people and were fun to work with in spite of having to deal with me and my pathetic issues. ;D And Eddie, I'll be calling you in a bit.

Draft saved Draft deleted