1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mohammed Most Popular Baby Name in England; Bill Maher "Concerned"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 30, 2010.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Re: Mohammed Most Popular Baby Name in England; Bill Maher "Concerned"

I daresay that's not a view of left or right. Thanks for helping my argument

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Nor is it correct. He said they 'weren't cowards.' Limbaugh agreed with him.

http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=11612

3. dooley_womack1

Re: Mohammed Most Popular Baby Name in England; Bill Maher "Concerned"

Sounds like royalty. Viscount Knowitall of Surrey

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If he thought he could make a career out of being right wing Howard Beale, he'd do it. Unfortunately for him, no-talent, low intelligence, victims of priestly pedophilia(Hannity, O'Reilly and Beck) had beat him to it. So he opted to go the other way.

5. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

The 2001 census had Muslims at being around 3% of the population in England and Wales.

I've lived in London for about 15 years now. If you go out looking for a handful of neighborhoods with a really visible Muslim population - especially in the East End - you'll find them.

On the whole, though, my gut feeling is that they can't shag fast enough to keep pace with the 92 percent or so who make up the white, native-born population, let alone overtake them. And with Iraq dying down, this generation and the next becoming more middle class, they'll become Godless secularists just like everyone else over here.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Would you have blamed him? :D

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This is such a silly mischaracterization of what Maher's actual point was. He wasn't defending the 9/11 terorrists, he was merely making a legitimate point about how we misuse words, a point I'd think journalists could appreciate.

His point was that the repeated use of the phrase "cowardly" to describe the 9/11 attacks was not accurate. There's a lot of adjectives that would accurately describe those fuckers that flew into those towers--evil, despicable, murderous, worthless, vile, etc.--but cowardly would not. Cowardice connotes the failure to take action because of personal fear, someone willing to sacrifice his life in pursuit of a belief--even if it is a twisted, demented evil belief--is not that.

Maher was quite correct in the point he was trying to make there, it was ridiculous that he got fired for it.

8. dooley_womack1

There have certainly been many societies where suicide is not quite looked at that way, Junkie.

9. dooley_womack1

Yeah, because Americans believe Catholic rules without question. ::) And I'm sure the mental health professions would disagree that suicide is always someone's cowardly choice.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Gene Kelly never tap-danced that well.
    Juan Williams and Bill Maher essentially voiced the same sentiments. Either they both get judged, or neither gets judged.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Hey, I think you're onto something, dools. "The 9/11 hijackers were just misunderstood by Western society and crashed those planes to stop the pain" meme would get a lot of traction. Poor hijackers.

12. dooley_womack1

Yeah, cos that's precisely what I said. ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted