1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mohammed Most Popular Baby Name in England; Bill Maher "Concerned"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I had no problem with what Juan Williams said and I have no problem with what Maher said.

People are entitled to have opinions. You don't have to agree with them.

I think Maher is one of the funniest people on the planet. His willingness to be edgy is what separates him from the rest of the political satirists.

I love how we live in a world with people who are just waiting to jump anyone who says anything that isn't completely politically correct.

2. Mizzougrad96

Anybody who actually watches Maher knows he rags on all religions.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

He also isn't expected to be an objective deliverer of news, as I gather Juan Williams was at NPR (thus their refusal to have him associated with them on his Fox New appearances).

And the fact that he has time and again pointed out how he thinks all religious people are sheep prone to committing despicable acts in the name of a "made-up" deity also makes this kind of comment easier for his bosses to stomach. They know what they're getting with him and they're happy with it.

4. Mizzougrad96

I'm guessing no one at HBO gives half a shit about anything he said.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

However, the guest was right: Maher would be shit-canned from NPR or a network news show.

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Seems like pretty much the same thing to me.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Agree 100 percent.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm more worried about dipshit hicks naming their kids Emuleee and then expecting me to spell it right as a matter of course.

Mohammad, that I can spell.

And Maher's a dipshit.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The funny thing about the "Mohammed is the most popular name in Britain" meme is that it's complete bullshit. It only becomes "the most popular name" if you count every possible spelling (Mohammed, Mohamed, etc.) and then DON'T count every possible spelling of other names, such as the ACTUAL most popular name, Oliver/Olli/Oli/etc.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/oct/27/oliver-top-boys-name-jack

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Oh, you and your British facts.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

All things considered, I think I'd rather be named Mohammed by my parents that Oliver.

12. Mizzougrad96

Hell, change an O to a U and say your parents are boxing fans.

Draft saved Draft deleted