1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moddy, etc -- need head shaving advice.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Feb 7, 2007.

1. tommyp

tommyp Member

Oddly enough, my avatar is a very close representation of what I look like. I've been shaving the dome for 10+ years now, as I could not fathom walking around with the Dr. Katz look.

The Mach 3 is always the way to go; I use a Wahl Groomsman to trim the goatee.

2. Jones

Jones Active Member

I'm frightened, but also made curious, by the fact that your head is twice as large as your body.

3. tommyp

tommyp Member

I said "very close," not accurate.

8)

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'm gonna tuck away this comment on this thread, to avoid the public acknowledgment of this issue, but I am damn going bald.

Looked in the mirror yesterday and realized the bangs on the top, which has grown out for about six months now with a trim once or twice, can't even reach over to the side.

I'm seriously considering going with a chrome dome, but at the same time I'm afraid of looking more tool-ish than I already do.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My hair has been falling out very, very rapidly since I turned 30 and I'm probably a year from shaving it clean. There's nothing worse than a combover or guys who try to grow what little hair they have long to try to hide going bald.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

There's something to be said for going bald gracefully. But I've still never seen a white guy who looked good with a completely shaved head, either. If that were to happen to me, I'd probably just crop my hair real tight and work on getting a tan. Shortly cropped blond or gray hair doesn't look too bad with a bald spot that's not pasty white. The contrast of really white bald spot and dark hair can be kind of stark, though. Kind of screams Bozo the Clown. Maybe I'm kind of vain but it's not a look I could deal with very well.

7. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I've seen plenty of white guys who looked good completely shaved. Especially if they're already balding. A few radio guys broadcasting major D-1 programs come to mind.

8. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I'm not sure I dig guys totally bald (though some look great), but I totally love guys who have a buzz cut.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Nothing worse than a man in denial about his balding. Combovers are just gross. My dad cuts his really, really, really short and shaves the stray hair off the top of his head.

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I usually do my beard and head with a No. 1 guard. Yeah, you can tell I'm going bald, but it covers up the dents in my head from being a 10-pound, 7-ounce baby.

11. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

The tan is the key here. It helps blend in the various marks, dents and moles and such that often populate guys' domes.

Tough to do in the winter in many places, obviously, but still a wise move.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I want to avoid the combover. Doesn't exactly land lots of chicks.

Stupid me, wearing too many hats in my younger days.

Draft saved Draft deleted