1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mock NCAA selection show...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Backyardigan, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Anyone involved/know anything about this?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16994889/

Story says there will be a selection show televised at 12:15 a.m. tonight....Doesn't appear to be ESPN though...

Not that I care too much, but I cover a mid-major team that is leading its conference, and its seeding in this could be a notebook item or something....

Thanks for the help...

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

It sounds to me like this isn't going to be broadcast, but that he's using the term "broadcast" as the deadline for all the work to be done. Hence the follow-up column to say what happened and what it was like to be part of the process.

3. This sounds dangerously close to selected reporters being part of the process to me. Or being set up so that their criticism of the inevitable botch in March becomes muted.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I mock the NCAA Selection Show every year. When do we start?

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Damn. Beat me to that one. Well played.

6. A full half-hour to prove Jim Nantz can read.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And a full-half hour to prove Billy P-acc-ker can't.

8. I was talking to one of the hoops writers selected for this gig the other day. He was pretty pumped up about it. The NCAA picked a bunch of national writers and (maybe) a couple of TV analysts to play the roles of the selection committee. They will actually represent a school or conference and have to step out when their teams are discussed. I think the idea was to demonstrate 1) how hard and 2) how fair the process is

I expect some decent post-pick columns out of it. Stay tuned.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Uh huh. I'm sure Tom O'Connor left the room when Mason was discussed last year.

"Hey guys. I'm outta here. *wink wink* Don't do me any favors. *wink wink* I won't be listening and will have no impact on this decision. *wink wink*"

Fuck him and fuck Craig Littlepage. Fucking frauds.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Forde was part of the process. He has a new apprecitation for how tough it is.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=2758770&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos2

11. Which is exactly what the committee, which will screw up as it always does, wanted them all to write.
    So some of the biggest names on the beat are now going to defend the process against the folks who weren't there. Lovely.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think that may be the case a little, but I don't think they'll pull punches if someone they don't think should be in gets there. There's too much inchage to be written about snubs and riled up coaches.

Draft saved Draft deleted