1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mobile Press-Register Alabama beat reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Randy Kennedy, Feb 15, 2012.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That comes mighty close to outing.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

No it doesn't. It comes pretty close to listing the first person interviewing for a job.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

It certainly violates the spirit of the no-outing policy -- and a lot of other tenets of professionalism, discretion and common sense -- and frankly I'm surprised to see it still here.

4. Mizzougrad96

Bullshit.

Names are mentioned all the time on the job threads. It's been like that ever since the board started.

5. Johnny Dangerously

It's a dick move.

6. Mizzougrad96

Cry me a river.

Nobody is bashing the guy. It's a message board. He's interviewing for the job. I hope he gets it. It would be a good hire.

For some reason I doubt this guy has as much problem with his name being out there as you do.
    If he didn't tell his boss he's interviewing, then that's on him. I doubt that's the case.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Mizzou, I've interviewed many times without telling my bosses my intentions. Why? Because it wasn't their damn business until I decided what I was going to do with my life.
    I know you meant well but in this case, you may have put a guys's gig in jeopardy without thinking it through.

8. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Nobody's gig is in danger because they interviewed without telling an SE.
    But I have seen situations where that guy was all but blacklisted from promotions.
    If you're a young reporter/editor, it's great to look, just tell your boss. They know the deal, especially at smaller papers. Talk to them about your motivation for applying. They'd rather talk about that and your goals than have you walk in and give 2 weeks' notice.
    Plus, don't think that your prospective employer is only going to speak with your references. If he knows somebody else at your paper, he's going to make that call. That happened to me twice. I've also made calls to people I know about people I didn't know. I've answered even more calls from SEs wanting to know a bit more about people who didn't list me as a reference. It's all part of the game.

9. Johnny Dangerously

True enough, but those phone calls are not posted for the sports journalism world to see. They involve a few people, privately. What Mizzougrad did is not the same, and I really doubt he'd have been thrilled about it if the roles were reversed.

10. Mizzougrad96

I've been up for several jobs since this board has been up. I'd be lying if I said I was thrilled when I was mentioned by name on threads when people correctly reported that I had interviewed somewhere, but I also took it as a compliment.

It goes with the territory.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

You don't owe your bosses crap. If you're getting laid off, are they gong to give you the same consideration? No.

12. Mizzougrad96

You don't owe your bosses anything, but if you interview for another job without telling them and they find out, and they will find out, they're going to be pissed that they didn't find out from you.

I made the mistake of doing that once, and I never did it again.

Draft saved Draft deleted