1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MMQB

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Figures Pete would be part of this story:

I just got out of my limo and was walking to the private elevator at 30 Rock to head up to studio when my cell phone rang ... "Peter this is Diane Simms, I need to call Phil but wanted to call you first to let you know that Chris is in surgery. He ruptured his spleen in game today" I thanked Diane for the exclusive and told her not to worry. I would go on air as soon as posible to let everyone know.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

She called PK before she called his father?
    He truly is the King of Kings

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Why is it that I seriously doubt that Diane called King before she talked to Phil? What game was Phil working Sunday?
    Sorry, not buying it.

4. I mentioned this on the spleen thread but NBC got caught in a weird place here. First, they reported (non-Kingly) that Simms was in critical condition, then PK came on to debunk that, then PK came back and talked about the splenectomy. I'm no doctor, but I have to think the "critical condition" story was probably correct when PK debunked it.

5. Boom_70

did anyone notice that PK has that Dick Cheney thing going on where he talks out of the side of his mouth. Its very distracting.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Have to say, PK looks good on TV. He does the Serious Report very well, and regardless of who called who, and when, he did get the story.

However: in the You Cannot Be Serious department, it seemed incredibly tasteless and silly to follow the medical news with, 'But the real question here is, when can he return to football!' No, the real question is, will he be okay, how is he doing, etc.

This is not unique to King--it was the same deal when Roethlisberger was injured and again when he had the appendectomy, and when Trent Green went down--but the deep drama and angst about what it might mean to the NFL and fantasy football leagues seems somewhat shallow, when a guy was just rushed into surgery.

7. Boom_70

tone was almost too serious. I thought he was going to tell me that Buckwheat had been shot.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Boom -

Where are you getting this quote? It's not from the MMQB column.

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

If she called PK before Phil, I'm sure it was because she wanted to take the 2 seconds to correct the critical condition report before she spent the rest of the evening talking to her husband. But PK makes it sound like he was higher on her priority list than Phil was.

And the limo and private elevator? Gimme a break. Just say you were on your way to the studio.

10. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

He is higher on the priority list, he's Peter Fuckin' King!

11. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

The only thing missing from last night's Peter King's exclusive and well, the whole broadcast, was some sort of comedic-yet-trying-to-be-serious-music. Maybe NBC could have used the 'Who Wants to Be a Millionaire' theme music.
    I'm with Boom, can you say, 'overly dramatic'?

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Great point. I'll never forget that the DAY after Korey Stringer died, someone at ESPN, (Pasquerelli?) wrote a story about the implications Stringer's death would have on the Vikings salary cap situation. Not knowing how that story came about, because perhaps some editor asked for that story and the writer had no choice, but, um, ... good gawd.

Draft saved Draft deleted