1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MMA Promotion Signs Prime Time Network TV Deal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr7134, Feb 28, 2008.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Yes, because this deal isn't with the UFC. MMA's biggest problem is its splintering between promotional organizations, meaning guys like Fedor Emelianenko, who is signed to Mark Cuban's HDNet Fights, hasn't been able to get a decent fight since 2005 despite the fact that he is considered the best heavyweight in the world.

Cuban's trying to get a fight against Randy Couture, but UFC isn't allowing it to happen.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dm-cubanufc021808&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I don't think that's true.

Boxing hits the broader audience and will always be the gold standard.

3. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

Rumpleforeskin, I couldn't disagree more. There is no way -- zero way -- more people are aware of Chuck Lidell (the sport's biggest star from what I gather) than Floyd Mayweather and/or Oscar De La Hoya. No comparison.

4. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

If you notice in the names I posted, those are the champions (beside Liddel) in the respective sports. I am not talking about the most recognizable names, rather, the names of the champions. Aren't those the ones we are supposed to know, who are the best of the best? I don't think anyone outside of Ohio know who Pavlik is or who he just fought.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Yes, GB, and this will kill MMA and the others before they ever get a start. But they at least have a chance to correct it.

WBA, WCC, WWA (?) and whatever other boxing federations there are killed the sports as well.

People want to know who the best is. If they wanted to be confused, they would watch reruns of Twin Peaks.

You confuse the public, your business/product/sport fails.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Rumple, I know or have heard of every name in your first grou and none in your second group.
    But you're in the MMA/UFC/blood sport prime demographic and I'm not.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Really? It seems to me that as with the WBC, WBA, IBF and WBO, everyone wants their slice of the pie, who's the best be damned.

At least with the Boxing organizations you can try to unify the titles, as Wladimir Klitschko is trying to do in the Heavyweight division. With MMA, you sign a contract to a group, UFC, HDNet Fights, IFL, and there is no cross-promotion, no holding two titles at a time in different organizations. You fight in one group until your contract ends. And then if you switch, you relinquish your title in the previous group.

8. Rumpleforeskin

That's why if this poll was done, you would need to pick a varying demographic of males. You need to poll people of different ages and races.

Edit: You are also a sports-minded person. I would expect you to know at least one of the groups.

9. 93Devil

ESPN is pushing the UFC and MMA more. I know that makes many people cringe, but it does show how the sport is moving forward.

No mention of Kimbo yet?

Spnited, I know you are going to shake your head at this, but it might be where the future of combat type sports is moving.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimbo

10. Rumpleforeskin

I saw Kimbo fight in Atlantic City in June. It was a pretty good fight. Kimbo is a pretty good fighter if you have seen him recently. He's going to get his ass handed to him if he goes against a true fighter, but right now, he's doing WORK!

(knocking out Tank Abbot)

11. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

At first I typed a lengthy response, but then I realized something. Your argument is based purely on your own speculations and inferences. Which are based on...what, exactly?

Big boxing cards are still outdrawing big MMA cards by a near 2:1 ratio. That's indisputable fact. Pavlik - Taylor didn't do well, but Pavlik's name is just starting to gain notoriety. I suspect if a Pavlik - Hatton or Pavlik - Trinidad bout happens it will fare better.

And boxing is starting to wise up. The 24/7 Series did a lot to promote the two recent Mayweather fights, and having the heavyweight unification bout on HBO instead of PPV was a smart move. Boxing isn't on its deathbed, and MMA isn't pulling any plug on the sport.

12. 93Devil

Oh, I have never paid money to watch a UFC or MMA event. In fact, I really don't watch it at all, but I do understand that it has a growing presence in American sports.

Draft saved Draft deleted