1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MMA Promotion Signs Prime Time Network TV Deal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr7134, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

Did you mean to use blue font for that boxing headstone comment? UFC has never had a pay-per-view anywhere close to the buyrates of De La Hoya vs. Mayweather during a supposed dark era for the sport.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Nope.

In five years it will be deader than glam rock.

Walk into your news room or news side and take a poll about how many current boxers they know. Ask men and women who are sports fans and non-sports fan.

I doubt you will find someone who can name five active fighters and no more than two current champions.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Really?

• Almost everytime I've watched it, it's two white dudes going at it
    • Everytime I saw it on at a bar or restaurant, it's predominantly white people watching it.
    • Damn near every network it's televised on caters to young white men

But don't take my word for it. Here's boxing promotor Bob Arum ...

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/columns/story?id=3204784

No matter what colors the fighters are, this issue doesn't answer another: why MMA is so damn boring. I don't like MMA's violence, but I disapprove of its snooze factor even more.

Like I said, it's high school wrestling with 'tude ... and punching ... and blood.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I would ask whether they can do the same for MMA fighters. I would say Floyd Mayweather currently has a far higher profile than any MMA fighter.

5. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

De La Hoya - Mayweather: 1.5 million buys

600K more than the highest grossing UFC of all time, which was that same month's Lidell vs. Jackson show. Mayweather - Hatton drew about equal to that Lidell - Jackson card, and had about 250K more buys than UFC's average.

The numbers don't lie, boxing is still more relevant than MMA.

6. 93Devil

I just asked a coworker whose son pitched with Verlander, travels to watch Virginia Tech sports and roots for VCU. He also won a fantasy football league I was in this year. So he is a sports fan.

I asked him to name a current boxer. He could not. He said he will watch it with his son every now and then when flipping channels, but he could name anyone.

He could not believe he did not know who the heavyweight champion is right now.

7. 93Devil

Now he does.

But will a boxer have a higher profile than a MMA fighter in five years after this CBS deal?

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

OK, Devil, ask him if he even knows what MMA and UFC mean... forget asking if knows any MMA fighters...no chance.

9. 93Devil

You are 100 percent correct.

Until they consolidate the two somehow, it will flounder or underachieve.

He is in his mid 50s. They are looking for a younger demo, though.

It still proves a point about the sweet science.

10. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

MMA fighters are far more well known right now than boxers.

If you did a poll on the names - Wladimir Klitskcho, Kelly Pavlik, Floyd Mayweather, Jr. and Vernon Forest vs Randy Couture, Quinton Jackson, Anderson Silva and Chuck Liddel

I think more people would know the second batch than the first.

Edit: You would need to take a wide sample of males though, differing ages and races.

11. 93Devil

And if that is not true now, this CBS deal almost assures it will be true in a few years.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Saturday night... the despondent XFL fans scream in joy.

Draft saved Draft deleted