1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLS Cup

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ledbetter, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

Anyone watching. After 20 minutes of OT, still scoreless, New England scores and Houston answers about 10 seconds later.

Yes, soccer can be exciting.

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Thank you. I was looking for the all-purpose soccer thread (where is it?) to post something on there.

This match is putting all the soccer-haters to shame.

Glad Twellman got one.

3. KP

KP Active Member

Though Dave O'Brien still sucks. "It's fitting the MLS Cup goes to penalty kicks because the World Cup final went to penalty kicks."

I just got home at start of OT2, how has Arena been?

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Arena's been good, O'Brien sucks.

Great finish. Loved Ching's kick, thought the last one was weak. Watching Reis is fun.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

So, fair to say that Heaps was the goat of the match?

Arena is awesome -- about 2 seconds after Twellman's goal, he rightly placed the blame on the defender who didn't step up to play him offsides. He reminds me of Van Gundy when he worked for TNT.

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

But ... but ... he played varsity basketball for Duke! He can't possibly be a loser! :D :D Joe Franchino would've been a much more satisfying goat, but Heaps is a solid No. 2.

I'm wondering where Dempsey and Ralston were during the PKs. Big-time huevos shown by Dom Kinnear in picking Gray and Holden for his first two shooters.

New England: Once ... twice ... three tiiiiiiimes a bridesmaid.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

We love to ride Franchino at Metros/RBNY games because he has real rabbit ears. He threw a bottle of water at one of us a few years back.

I was surprised about Dempsey not kicking -- maybe he got an early start on packing for his trip to the Coca Cola Championship.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

My dad was covering this game. And while I'm not much of a soccer fan, kudos to Houston for winning it.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

It was a fun game to watch.

I was also really surprised when Heaps (of shit) went to take the kick. I could only ask, Where is Dempsey? I wasn't surprised to see Twellman take number 4. But damn that was some crazy shit.

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Wow. Soccer still doesn't get it right. When it's overtime (actually that's all the time in that sport), when one team scores, END THE FREAKIN' GAME! I've always hated that about soccer. If the game goes to overtime, why should there be an overtime then a sudden-death OT and then PKs?

Send this thread to the all-purpose soccer thread world.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

There is no sudden death OT. There is overtime which allows the teams a specified amount of time to win the game in. Golden goal puts far more emphasis on being extremely cautious and playing too defensively.

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I see your point on the Golden goal, but I still think if a team scores in OT, another team shouldn't get to continue playing.

Draft saved Draft deleted