1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLK Holiday celebration

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

How are you celebrating the King Holiday?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Watching Carnage and doing laundry.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Working.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Staying indoors, as its 15 degrees outside. That's the trouble with this holiday. There are no activities linked to it. It's not tied into some seasonal idea (Christmas-solstice, Easter-start of spring, Labor Day-end of summer, etc.). It really is a birthday, random in nature.

5. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Ditto.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

US WHITE WOMEN ARE SO PUT UPON! :D

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's funny, maybe it's just that it is the only holiday that was created in my lifetime and I followed the efforts to make it happen, but I've always felt guilty if I didn't do something on occasion of the MLK Day, whether attending a service, watching a particular movie - Eyes on the Prize is always a good option - or just doing something to better my community.
    The holiday is unique because it honors a person who was never elected to an office, never had any official power, yet showed how much impact one person can have on the world.
    On a trip through the South a few years back I visited many of the sites key in the Civil Rights Movement. I'd always thought of that time as "bad history" and era to be looked at with regret, it wasn't until I talked with a woman in Birmingham near the 16th St. Baptist Church that was bombed when she told me she always thought it was "good history" because it showed what people could do when they worked together and were willing to make sacrifices for what they believed in.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

The day means a lot to many different people. Some use it as a day of remembrance, others use it as a day of service, some use it as a day of peace. Many along here are too young to recall what he did for Americans, not just African Americans. He spoke about having a country free of color lines and stigmas. It was a Utopian thought that still has meaning to many.

9. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Asking Bono to write a chronologically incorrect song about me.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Great song musically, terrible song lyrically. (As I recall, that's Bono's assessment as well.)

And to answer the bigger question... working. Like always.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Day of peace? Are you saying that on the other days they practice violence?

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

You figure it out and get back to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted