1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB.tv: Proof that God wants us to be happy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Apr 3, 2007.

1. WS

WS Member

Once I got MLBTV for a night back in the summer of 2004 because I wanted to see a pitcher that I covered make his big league debut.

Well, I tune in at 9 p.m., and the end of one game was on the same channel. By the time that game got over, the pitcher I wanted to see was shelled after giving up 7 second-inning runs to the Devil Rays. Guess that was 3 bucks wasted

2. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I would love to get MLB.tv but I can't. I'm about 450 miles from my team but I still count as being inside their "coverage area." What? My regional sports network carries about 1/3 of the games, the others are on a local station in the team's home city.

That means I'm BLACKED OUT! I guess if I was a real fan I would make the 900-mile round trip 81 times.

Blacked out makes andyouare angry AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGG :mad:

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

OK.

I just sprung for the $90, but the menu shows live links to only two of today's games... The Nationals and the Tigers.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaahappened?

I feel like I may have been royally (or is that Brewerly?) screwed.

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

You'll only have live links to games currently under way. The Yankees-Rays got rained out.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Thanks very much.

6. In response to the S-Video connection question, yes you can connect your computer to your tv and watch it on the typically larger screen. I do this and it works well. I recommend if you do this to upgrade to the mlb.tv Premium service (as long as your connection is at least 700kbps) so you get cable-quality picture. Looks pretty sweet in my opinion. For example, yesterday I was watching the Cardinals/Mets game and the feed they used must have come off a HD Widescreen picture because the quality was just as if I was watching it on cable tv.

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I've got an s-video input on my TV, but not my computer. Is there a way to connect with a cord that has an s-video connection on one end and something else on the other (maybe a USB connecton)?

8. KP

KP Active Member

Anyone having trouble with their mlb.tv?
    I couldn't get it to go on Monday, yesterday no problems and now just getting the fucking stupid Right Guard ad and then the viewer goes black.
    Fuck you, Selig!

9. I do not know of a gadget that connects a S-Video cable with an USB input. Basically your video card can't handle it then.

Typically if your screen goes black when you try to watch a game, it means your connection isn't fast enough at that time. If you have the service (they have a free 5 day trial right now), turn on the Marlins/Nationals game right now and try it out at both the 700kbps speed and the 400kbps speed. If your connection is slower, it will show the ad, then black screen on you.

To test your speed, the best site I've found is http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest
    If your speed is <450kb you're in trouble.

10. KP

KP Active Member

Download speed or upload speed?
    EDIT - My download speed is 5244kbps while the upload speed is 359 kbps.
    EDIT 2 - I can watch archieved games in 700kbps.
    GRRRRR

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Anyone know how to get around the blackout restrictions?

12. KP

KP Active Member

On your mlb.com profile, change your personal profile address while keeping the wallet preferences the same. That's what I'm going to try later.

Draft saved Draft deleted