1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Trade Deadline Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beaker, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'm surprised, though Kotchman looks like a solid player, and Marek looks close to being big-league ready. It leads me to believe the Braves have more on the way.Tomorrow should be fun.

Marek's numbers in AA:
    Team League W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB SO GO/AO AVG
    ARK TEX 2 6 3.66 34 0 0 0 3 46.2 39 20 19 2 21 57 1.31 .223

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Wow. I can't believe I agree with you.

IMO, a much better deal than Tracy-Owings. I like Owings, but not as the centerpiece in a deal for a player of Teixeira's caliber. Kotchman is more along the lines of a centerpiece-type.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

For what it's worth, Kotchman has probablybeen the Halo's best offensive player this year.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm really surprised the Angels, of all teams, pulled the trigger on this. That's not their M.O., with or without Bill Stoneman.

Like others, I'm also not convinced of Teixiera's clutchness...dude's been on three teams in 12 months and has never come close to sniffing October. I'm not convinced he cares about anything other than the $100-odd mil awaiting him at the other end of the rainbow.

Good for the Angels for going for it, and they've got the $$$ to keep Teixiera. Still...I wouldn't have dealt Kotchman.

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

SI.com has it up now.

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

The potential Manny to Dodgers won't happen now. The only way it could've happened was if the Sox got someone like Kemp who they could load to the Braves for Teixeira.

The only other player out there who could potentially replace Manny's productivity is Holliday, and I think the Rox are staying put now.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Angels damn well better sign Teixiera after giving up Kotchman.

8. Yeah, they still have Ohman and Kotsay (provided his back stays in one piece) who could help somebody and who could bring something good in return.

Hate to see Tex go (especially with the Georgia Tech ties), but any lingering doubts about whether the Braves were out of it went out the window over the weekend. Plus, I like Kotchman.

Oh, and to those who question whether Tex is clutch, keep in mind he's a notorious second half hitter (his bat is just now starting to come up to his usual standards) and he was about the only thing remotely clutch about the Braves down the stretch after he came to Atlanta last year.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I know...it's just a feeling I have.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Has he played in games that matter?

11. Overrated

Overrated Guest

No, he hasn't. That's not his fault, though.

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I think Holliday and Fuentes stay in Colorado.

I think the Padres should deal Maddux to the Brewers, Josh Bard to the Yankees and Trevor Hoffman to the Cardinals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.