1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Trade Deadline Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beaker, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Seriosuly, Oz, the bullpen doesn't mean shit when you just gave away one of the 2 or 3 best hitters of the past 20 years...GAVE HIM AWAY.

Look at it this way.. the Red Sox traded Hansen and Moss for Bay ... not a bad deal.
    Oh, by the way, they GAVE Manny Ramirez to the Dodgers for NOTHING...and they are paying his salary as well.

And consider this:

Manny vs. Yankees = 55 HR, 163 RBI, .321 Ba, .411 OBP, .618 Slg, 1.029 OPS

Manny vs. Rays = 41, 143, .310, .406, .612, 1.018

The more I look at it, the worse this deal becomes.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I wondered about that too. But Peter Gammons was saying today that it's important that Manny listen to Boras, which leads me to believe the Sox aren't sour on Boras.

And really: As arrogant as Boras is, does he REALLY think that Manny acting like this is going to help him on the open market?

Spnited: I'm not disagreeing with you re: this being a bad deal for the Sox, or how Red Sox Nation will react if Bay hacks it up during the final weekend of the year as the Sox miss the playoffs by a game. Just saying that things had to be REALLY bad if they were willing to divorce him two months before they could say goodbye with no strings attached, and that two titles in four years gives the Sox front office a bit of cache on something like this.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Two titles in four years give Red Sox management cache until Jason Bay eats shit the last weekend of the season and the Red Sox asshole fans are watching the Yankees and Rays in October and saying "we never should have let Manny go.".

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Actually, Bay's agent is Joe Urbon.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/07/the_bay_file.html

"He signed a four-year, $18.25-million extension in November 2005, receiving a one-year signing bonus. The deal paid him $750,000 in 2006, $3.25 million in 2006, $5.75 million in 2008 and $7.5 million next season. His agent is Joe Urbon, of Octagon Baseball, who played baseball professionally in the Phillies organization and who also represents Cleveland outfielder Grady Sizemore."

And spnited, trust me, I'm with you. I just figured they would cut a side deal somewhere to shore up that bullpen, in case they happen to score fewer runs and need to win tighter games.

Bottom line, I don't think the Red Sox got any better or much worse. They're about where they were before.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

And the other side of the argument is ... suck it up, Sox front office. You don't fucking give away the best right-handed hitter you've ever had. This ain't Latrell Sprewell choking his coach-type antics here. It's bullshit that you've dealt with for years -- deal with it for two more months and then part ways.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

I think the Red Sox got much, much, much worse.

And, amen, Buck .. a-fucking-men!

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

We can agree to disagree (first time with Bucky, 12,982,012th time with Spnited :D).

But something mighty shitty had to go down for a cautious front office to dump him two months away from a free and clean divorce.

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I stand corrected. Madden it got it wrong then -- I think he may have confused Bay and Nady, who is a Boras client.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

He punched Kevin Youkilis (admittedly something just about everybody wants to do) and pushed the traveling secretary.

Ain't that far of a stretch to think next on the list is turning Francona's neck into a scratching post.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

I think his teammates silently applauded him for punching Kevin the douchebag of walks Youkilis.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Second that. If anyone needed to be slapped in that dugout, it was Youkilis.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I know we're going in circles here ...

Oh, I think they got worse. I understand the numbers look the same (through 7/30), I understand the "antics" argument, the clubhouse cancer (if that's even true), I understand Manny's not what he used to be and I understand Bay's not a bum.

But you CAN'T give up a Manny Ramirez -- even a disinterested, disillusioned, 36-year-old, dozen-points-below-his-career-average Manny Ramirez -- and NOT get worse. You just can't replace the best right-handed hitter of his generation -- and it's not like replacing Nomar in 2004; this guy was one of the best of all-time -- and NOT get worse.

Because no matter how good Bay is, he can't do what Manny Ramirez can do. Maybe Bay can drive in 10 runs in seven ALCS games like Manny did just last year -- but he'd have to play out of his mind to do so. Manny just has to, pardon the tired phrase, be Manny.

And now the Red Sox don't have that. Damn right they got worse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.