1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Trade Deadline Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beaker, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

No thoughts on the Yanks latest blockbuster: Alberto Gonzales to the Nats for Jhonny Nunez?

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

There's more than one person on this planet who named their son Jhonny?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The man Marlon Anderson brought to the Nats two years ago is now gone. Sign.
    Suck for suck, I say, though Gonzales may spell the end of Felipe Lopez in Washington. So I will love him forever for that alone.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The best, or stupidest, depending on one's point of view, part of this deal is that the Dodgers!!!! got money. Yeah, they're barely making ends meet out in LA. The funny thing is, if the Yankees had done the same, baseball moralists from coast to coast would say this proves how the Evil Empire can spend away its mistakes, etc., etc.
    Nobody's untradable. But panic like that is pretty embarrassing.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I owned Teixeira and Bay in an NL league. Hello, waiver wire.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Red Sox got FUCKED. Gave up the best right-handed hitter in the world, a modern-day Ted Williams (eccentrics and all) who WAS BUILT to hit balls off that fucking Monster like no one else ... AND they paid the fucking Dodgers ... AND gave up prospects? For Jason Fucking Bay? Because they're "tired" of his antics? :eek: :eek: :eek: A pox on their house for another 86 years. Fuck them.

7. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I feel your pain on Teixeira...in our league, I don't automatically get the guy he's traded for. I have to bid with real money, plus a $25 activation fee (I play in an AT&T league, apparently).

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That blows more than BYH.

9. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Is that even possible?

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Dodgers + Manny Ramirez = FAIL!

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The difference between this and the Nomar trade is this: Orlando Cabrera had to replace Nomar, but still had Ortiz and Manny hitting in the lineup. Four years later, Bay has to replace Manny and play with a hurt Ortiz, a no-hitting shortstop, a blackhole at catcher and a subpar offensive center fielder.

This isn't the same at all.

Also, Manny owned the Yankees. Absolutely owned them. I am ecstatic about this trade.

How does everyone think the Dodgers will do now? I've got to think with the way their pitching has been and their offense has improved they are favorites to win the West.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Good point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.