1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Top 32

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 3, 2011.

1. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

I don't have a problem if you don't think Pujols is the best player. But at least be factual about it.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

@Secretariat, not trying to debate anyone. Pos has his opinion and he's welcomed to it. Pujols, as great as he is, isn't a five-tool superstar. that's just my opinion.
    @MartinonMT2, I am factual. The guy is slow.

3. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

He's a first baseman. No one is going to confuse him with Vince Coleman.

He has 30 SBs in the last two seasons. He has two Gold Gloves. The facts are against you.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Also, anyone with a sane mind would consider Pujols a dominant player. If he retired right now, he'd automatically be one of the all-time great players.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

I NEVER said he wasn't a dominant player. Yes, he has great offensive stats and he has worked hard to become a Gold Glove first baseman. In my opinion, he is lacking the speed necessary to be considered a five-tool player. Stealing bases isn't totally about speed. Timing and situations count heavily.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The issue here is that you are assuming a player has to be five-tool to be the best player in the game.

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

You said, and I quote, "there is no dominant player in the game today". Last I checked, Albert Pujols still plays MLB. So you just blatantly lied about something you said like two posts ago.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

True - specially when it comes to pitching.

Does not seem to be too many "5 tool players" around these days. Perhaps it went out with testing.

9. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

No, stealing bases isn't just about speed. I think I said that before. He knows when to try to steal.

10. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Parks are smaller. Teams have different strategies. Stolen bases are at a lower priority.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

True - specially if you play for Billy Beane
    True. Specially if you play for Billy Beane.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah but he's Canadian. How good can he really be?...

Draft saved Draft deleted