1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB to ESPN: Drop dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by steveu, Jul 6, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The brouhaha started late Sunday afternoon when MLB had unveiled the All-Star selections in an hourlong show that was scheduled by contract to be exclusive to new rights-holder Turner Broadcasting. Other media, including ESPN, were prevented from disclosing the names until after the Turner show. Sources familiar with the situation said that ESPN had asked for permission to do a special All-Star selection show but was told that as in the past when it was ESPN's under the rights deal this was an exclusive.

Turner originally planned to do the show between 4 p.m. and 5 p.m. ET, following the Atlanta Braves-Florida Marlins telecast. But the Braves game was delayed 85 minutes by rain and then went into extra innings so that the All-Star telecast started two hours later at 6 p.m.

Sources said ESPN had scheduled a selection show between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. but, having no names, filled it with other baseball issues like Barry Bonds' effort to break the career home run record. But after 6 p.m., ESPN's "SportsCenter" announced the names of the National and American League All-Stars a few minutes after they were announced on Turner.

This drew the ire of MLB, even without Turner having to say anything, say sources familiar with the situation. MLB took the unusual step of telling ESPN that since it didn't respect the embargo of the rightsholder, it would be treated like a non-rights-holder for the All-Star Game and not given any special treatment.

"It broke the spirit of the agreement," a source said Friday morning.

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

as much as i fucking hate the WWL, i think MLB needs to keep kissing its ass. imagine no baseball highlights on sportscenter, BBTN, ESPNnews and no games on wednesday and sunday. yeah, MLB needs ESPN. MLB will kill itself if it thinks it can survive until its new MLB tv launches in 2009. i realize it's not this drastic yet but i'm just saying if the feud escalates, it's bad news for espn.

as for the all-star coverage? who gives a fuck?

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

As long as I can continue to see Astros games and highlights on FoxSports SW, I couldn't get a swut if ESPN loses All-Star Game credentials.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Yeah but how else is the rest of the country going to see the Yankees, Red Sox, and Mets?

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Rightsholders NEVER lose these disputes. ESPN gives MLB money. Ergo, MLB will wind up forgiving ESPN. Baseball's not afraid of losing ESPN, it's afraid of what ESPN will put up against baseball if it loses it.
    Pro football seven nights a week in October? It could happen.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Pro football, no. College and pro, maybe.
    But MLB is in the right here and ESPN deserved to get its knuckles cracked.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

ESPN doesn't have rights in October, and MLB has no competition from mid-June on until the NFL starts, unless you really think people will go apeshit over hours upon hours of NFL Training Camp news. And maybe they do, but I'm not sure anyone wants to risk it. They've already put on Arena Football which no one gives a shit about. Baseball has a monopoly on the summer.

That said, they'll capitulate because Bud is a bitch and ESPN is a giant.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Head...are we sure it isn't that Bud is ESPN's giant bitch?

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

ESPN dropped the NHL and look at what happened. I know this is not even close to the same thing, but if a league begins to distance itself from the WWL, bad things seem to happen. Ask Gary Betteman.

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

ESPN should blog during the All-Star Game and see if MLB gets upset.

11. Just4Fun

Just4Fun Guest

MLB should do it this way ... Hey Berman and others at ESPN? "Back, Back, Back, Back, Back .... GONE!"

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

BIG difference there, sparky...
    NHL is a niche sport in the states; far too many baseball fans to let that happen.
    If ESPN didnt show baseball highlights, ratings would drop.

Draft saved Draft deleted