1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Thread...The Cleanup Spot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Overrated, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Re: MLB 08...The Cleanup Spot

The immortal Joey Gathright!

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Now you join the kill list. :)

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I thought the same thing, and was also going to request a title switcharoo.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Heard Wakefield referred to as "the old knuckleballer" today, which makes me think of Wilhelm or Niekro or somebody who seems kind of ... ancient. Not him. Maybe it's that I remember Wakefield's rookie season like it was yesterday, because he would have won the NLCS MVP award in '92 if not for one F. Cabrera, and because he had one of the <a href="http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/ATL/ATL199304270.shtml">weirder lines</a> I've ever seen against the Braves in '93 (10-6-2-2-10-1, 172 pitches).

And then I think of something that Jim Bouton wrote in "Ball Four", on seeking out Wilhelm for knuckleball advice and making the comment about hoping to carry the torch for those "one-pitch pitchers" because there weren't many guys around who were solely relying on that butterfly ball. (Hough and Candiotti kept it going after him, I guess.)

For most of his career, Wakefield's pretty much carried that torch all by himself. That amazes me.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Too bad I didn't start the thread.

Then, someone would have unilaterally changed the title by now (actually, I would have unless I was snoozing).

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

No more so than Don Henley.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Well, he does turn 42 in August, but I understand what you mean. Wakefield doesn't seem that old. I was in the stands for one of those complete-game victories against the Braves in the '92 NLCS. It was the best atmosphere for a Pirates game that I ever experienced. Wakefield was dominant in that series. (Though I tend to blame Chico Lind, Stan Belinda and Jim Leyland more than Francisco Cabrera for Game 7).

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I watched the Cardinals-Brewers game last night, and they kept talking about Prince Fielder being a vegetarian now.

Which blows my mind on a lot of levels.

But since he K'd with two guys on and two guys out late in the game against Randy Flores, I think his new diet is an exxxxxxxcellent idea.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Last year he had three dominant starts before a sore arm (I forget exactly what the injury was) disrupted everything. He had some good stretches, but never really regained that dominant form in '07. Maybe this time he stays healthy and becomes the dominant pitcher like so many predicted when he first came up.

And mikey, to answer your question, I have very little nice to say about Tulowitzky right now. He's dragging down one of my fantasy teams, dammit! (Hi spnited!)

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Haven't been keeeping up with the baseball threads, but I'd like to mention the Cardinals are in 1st place and tied for the best record in baseball.

Since it won't last, this post will serve as a nice memory later in the year.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Sooner or later they'll play somebody worth a shit.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Last year it was "elbow tightness." Probably the only recent time I can remember that a star pitcher has had that and it didn't lead immediately to Tommy John surgery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.