1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Thread Number 3, 2007

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, May 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I haven't seen many Nationals games. But in the two games of the Cubs series so far, I've seen a couple of air-mailed infield throws to first base, err, the stands. There's a reason that the Nats have the most errors in baseball.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

SoSueMe.... actually this thread is a great way to keep up with baseball. I'm not as in-tuned to the game as I used to be, but you can always count on tidbits of info and perspective from all over the country on this thread to help you keep up. The running baseball thread is one of the better threads on this site and it always stays focused on the topic at hand.

Casty, I always liked Maine but even I'm shocked at what he's doing in New York. I figured he could be a decent, maybe even adequate is a better word, back end of the rotation guy. I was stunned by the way he helped the Mets get to the NLCS last year and that he's pitched so well this year. He also seems like a good dude, and whatever Rick Peterson is doing with him, those two seem to click.

I started thinking a little about this last night. What if the Rangers never traded Hafner, or even Adrian Gonzalez who is playing really well in San Diego? In hindsight would the better move be keeping Tex at third, dealing Blalock, and letting Gonzalez play first and Hafner DH? Either way, Teixeira will be the highest paid Oriole whenever he hits free agency. Angelos would sooner suck down a whole roomful of asbestos and buy season tickets to the Nationals than let the local boy go anywhere else.

Speaking of the Rangers, everyone, myself included, thought they got a steal from the Nationals when they dealt Soriano away. But Wilkerson has been a terrible hitter since coming to the AL. Into the second season of that deal, who still got the best part of that trade?

And lastly, Chris L is just made he got chicken grease on his Wade Boggs jersey. ;D

3. RokSki

RokSki New Member

That's what I use it for, at least while the NBA is still going on

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Gotta love Soriano. The Nationals pitcher is struggling and walks the No. 8 and No. 9 Cubs batters with the bases loaded. Soriano takes one pitch during his at-bat and strikes out on a high pitch when he can't check his swing.

5. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Not the most selective hitter, to be sure. Or the best fielder. Or...

But he sure is talented. He's got that freaky 'lean strength' that Eric Davis had, IMO.

6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

It's getting to a point where it's comical. Manuel does some of the strangest things I've ever seen a manager do. All spring all you heard about was them starting fast and being the team to beat. What do they do? Go 3-11 and Manuel wants to go toe-to-toe with Howard Eskin. WTF? And I was shocked, shocked I say, they walk Bonds with no one on. Not even Howard gets that treatment. Yes Bonds is off to a good start, but he's not nearly the player that he was 3 or 4 years ago. I think Charlie is trying to see how stupid he can get before something happens to him.

How about last night in the sixth. Men on first and second (slow-ass Howard). Rowand blazes a single to center and third base coach Steve Smith sends Howard instead of having bases loaded with no outs. Howard gets gunned down and Helms follows with a 5-4-3 DP. And how long do they continue to let Burrell play? He has 1 HR and 11 RBIs and his average continues to plumet.

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Burrell's not nearly the drag on the lineup you think. His power has been non-existant, but he's been an absolute on-base machine (7th in the NL). While it's not what you want from your No. 5 hitter, he's at least been useful.

As for Manuel, he's got to be safe. Because if they haven't fired him yet, they never will. I watch nearly every Phils game and there's not a game that goes by that someone (players and/or coaches) doesn't do something stupid. I've seen Little League teams with more baseball sense and a better grasp of the game's fundamentals.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Mr. On-Base Machine (.441) and his 26 walks do you no good when he can't advance past first base.
    11 RBI and 11 runs scored for your No. 5 hitter SUCKS, no matter what his OBP.

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Burrell's been a disappointment in the 5-hole, for sure. At the same time, it's tough to shit on a guy that's getting on base at that kind of clip.

Look, the entire lineup is fucked up right now. Rollins is the power bat. Burrell is the on-base machine. Howard is positively lost. Rowand is positively on fire. Cats and dogs living together. Nothing makes sense.

At the end of the year, they'll be what they always are: Almost, but not quite, good enough to sneak into the playoffs.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

My problem with guys who are dubbed "on-base machine" in the middle of the lineup is if they do nothing but walk and watch the guys behind them make out, they are worthless.
    Burrell has 11 RBI and 11 runs scored-- unacceptable for a No. 5 hitter. Walks are nice, but he's gotta hit the damn ball.

11. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

That's an indictment of the guys hitting behind him. Anybody who gets on base 40 percent of the time is an asset.

12. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Have you ever seen Burrell run? A dead person would be right on his heels in a race.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.