1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

mlb press credential restrictions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mustangj17, Aug 28, 2007.

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Our SIDs don't know any other way.

EDIT: Thought I am loath to defend these SID guys, because they really are jackholes, I should point out that the rivals guy runs his site basically like the National Enquierer. It's all rumor and innuendo, without much solid confirmation. He's been right about some things, but he's also been wrong about some pretty egregious things -- mostly because somebody's aunt's mailman can be "a source close to the situation." And if he's wrong, he's like, "Hey, it's just the Internet." Yet the dude clears $20,000 a month.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I've gotten media credentials for two MLB teams as a SE of a weekly paper who had a player on the visiting team. Even though both teams are within 150 miles of me, I doubt they were familiar with my publication or the county it covered. But they let me in anyway, and I did my shitty and forgettable story.

Call the team and ask what the process is to obtain a credential. Explain the how and why of your trip -- you cover their AAA affiliate for an affiliate of a national website, and you want to do an update for your readers on former Mud Hens playing for the Tigers now. If they say no or are resistant because you write for a website, emphasize that you work for a reputable website (not, say, Tigerterror.blogspot.com) and have a distinct story on which you're working. If need be, send clips if they aren't sure you're on the up-and-up. If they continue to deny or resist, ask specifically what the problem is, and go from there.

If Detroit doesn't work, do they play at Cleveland again this year? Maybe the Indians would be more accomodating?

Also, if you're trying to cover a game in Detroit, isn't it more a Second Amendment issue?

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

What I meant to say was.... It's crazy when the Japanese media come for a big story.

They said more people than the home team does. I've heard stories where packs of 10-20 reporters/photogs and camera men have come over to follow a mediocre Japanese player just during a rehab assignment in Triple-AAA. They really do care about their baseball stars in america.

5. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

That's what you see at the AAA park, but for some of the big league teams, they are part of the "home team" media. A couple of years ago, there were more Japanese media members that traveled with the Mariners (Ichiro and Kazu) than "local" media.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The taxpayer-funded stadiums are built for one reason and one reason only: to make millions and millions of dollars of additional profit for the billionaire owners.

The stadiums are run completely at the pleasure and discretion of the billionaire owners. Your rights as a citizen/taxpayer consist of your right to buy tickets or concession items at whatever astronomical price the billionaire owner may see fit. Whomever (i.e., media outlets) he may see fit to let in free (or not), and under what conditions, is totally up to him. Your recourse is zilch.

7. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Fly down to Tampa when the Tigers are in town. Hell, I think you can just walk right in.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

oh shit, i thought you meant a real media guy, not some internet douche. i retract my original statement. sorry.

9. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Mustang,
    Your credibility here (and anywhere) will be enhanced by doing a grammar check before you post.
    I know, I know, you posted in a hurry and your work is always perfect when it's not "just" for a message board.
    Just a friendly tip.

10. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

i once walked into M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore for a Ravens game without showing my credential

through the press entrance ... up the elevator ... into the box ... to my seat

11. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

12. txscoop

txscoop Member

Why do you have to call him/her out on the board? You can send a personal message for only him/her to see. Just a friendly tip

Draft saved Draft deleted