1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Network's 20 greatest games

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Chase, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Watson

Watson New Member

What is 1986 Mets-Astros 16-inning game?

What is 1975 Carlton Fisk home run game?

What is 1988 Kirk Gibson home run game?

What is White Sox-Brewers 25-inning regular-season game?

What is Roger Clemens' first 20-strikeout game?

What is Kerry Wood's 20-strikeout game?

What is the Bartman Game?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Where were you?

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Game 7 of the 1991 World Series would have to be on there, I assume.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Probably off. I was the back-up MLB writer. Regular beat guy covered the completion.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

On June 18, 2006, Father's Day, with his father in the stands, Ryan Zimmerman hit his tenth Major League home run and his first walk-off home run when he hit a 2-run shot in the bottom of the ninth inning to beat the New York Yankees 3–2. The usually stoic Zimmerman gleefully tossed his batting helmet in the air while rounding third and leaped onto home plate as his teammates crowded around him. He later took a curtain call and tossed his batting gloves into the stands.

Anyone else vote for this one?

:)

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Just you and Moddy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
    BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Then you missed the part that in my opinion truly fucked Williams. It was before he'd even thrown a pitch. Henderson called time and stepped out of the box while Williams was in the set and looking down at his cock or whatever. Williams starts his motion, looks up and sees time's been called, and stops awkwardly. He looked immediately rattled and walked Henderson on what - five pitches? I think it was over at that point.

8. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Found myself staying up until 3:30 a.m. watching that damn thing. Really good. Carter & Williams were excellent, especially Williams. But also the way they would both say the same thing about a situation - really saw how ballplayers look at things. But Williams breaking down that final inning - and how he knew what Henderson would do (call timeout) + how he never used the slide step - was phenomenal.

I won't watch too many of them probably (too many possibly Yankees games! ;)) but this one was worth it. Carter even mentions how it is mentioned to him every day and how people tell him where they were when it happened. Maybe that's why this one resonated with me, too, as I clearly remember where I was.

Anyway, here is the list people voted on: http://mlb.mlb.com/network/greatest_games/index.jsp (all games since 1961, so no Shot Heard Round the World)

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It was the biggest win in Nationals history. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

He says he knew Henderson would step out? That surprises me, because he looked really messed up after that.

And as much as I love the Jays, I don't think I could sit through Carter talking about his role in that game. He always used to talk about how some of the most important wins in Blue Jays history ended with him in the frame (including catching Timlin's flip to end the 1992 WS and the lazy fly ball that ended the 93 LCS). Sure, Joe, pat yourself on the back for the walkoff, but STFU about catching two cans of corn.

11. Crash

Crash Active Member

It's often overlooked and it lacked a dramatic ending, but I'm sort of surprised Game 6 of the 1995 World Series wasn't even on the list to be voted on. Glavine was remarkable, allowing only a bloop single to the league's best lineup, and Justice hit a solo homer in the bottom of the sixth for the game's only run.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dear Mizzou, I believe Game 6 of 1985 Series has already been done in this program. I know Game Five of the 1980 NLCS (studio guest: Larry Bowa) was. Very weird to hear Keith Jackson and Howard Cosell call baseball.

Draft saved Draft deleted