1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB HOF debate thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Biggio and Bagwell should get in.

Biggio will because of 3,000.

I'm not sure Bagwell will, and it's a shame. I'd love to have seen the numbers he'd have put up if he hadn't spent his best years in the Astrodome.

2. Craig Biggio is ten times the player Wade Boggs ever dreamed of being

3. Frank Thomas is only 13 HR from 500 and when he reaches that mark he'll join Hank Aaron, Babe Ruth, Willie Mays, Jimmy Foxx, Ted Williams, and Mel Ott as the only players with both 500 HR and a batting average over .300 (Thomas could literally go 0 for his first 100 AB in 2007 and still be over .300 for his career).

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If not for the positive drug test, Palmeiro was going in the Hall of Fame. And he was never as good as Bagwell in his prime.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

If Jim Rice isn't in the Hall as one of the most feared hitters in the 70s, then Bagwell and Thomas shouldn't make it either.

6. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

If you want to assume Thomas and Bagwell were clean, they're Hall of Fame locks.

7. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I am sick of this whole Jim Rice argument. I do not see him getting into the Hall of Fame anytime soon. Granted he was a feared hitter, but he doesn't have the stats to get into the Hall. Bagwell? Come on people! Jeff Bagwell couldn't hold the jock strap of half of the first basemen in the Hall. Biggio should be a shoe in because of the hits as well as the hit by pitches. Andre Dawson has a case more than Rice, IMO.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I'm hoping I missed the sarcasm font. So Bagwell and Rice don't have the numbers, but Biggio should get partly based on the number of times he was hit by a pitch? That makes a ton of sense.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Name Batted Threw Inducted
    Cap Anson R R 1939
    Jake Beckley L L 1971
    Jim Bottomley L L 1974
    Dan Brouthers L L 1945
    Orlando Cepeda R R 1999
    Frank Chance R R 1946
    Roger Connor L L 1976
    Jimmie Foxx R R 1951
    Lou Gehrig L L 1939
    Hank Greenberg R R 1956
    George Kelly R R 1973
    Harmon Killebrew R R 1984
    Buck Leonard L L 1972
    Willie McCovey L L 1986
    Johnny Mize L R 1981
    Eddie Murray B R 2003
    Tony Perez R R 2000
    George Sisler L L 1939
    Mule Suttles R R 2006
    Ben Taylor L 2006
    Bill Terry L L 1954

You're right. He's only better than about nine of the first baseman already in the Hall. ::)

10. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Yeah...the sarcasm was there, but no other player has the magnet power for a baseball as Biggio. But all sarcasm aside, Biggio deserves to be in. Rice and Bags can get into the Hall of very good, but not the Hall of Fame. What do people think about Omar Vizquel? The only reason why he may get in is the gold gloves.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Omar's a toughie. It's really, really, really, really hard to justify Ozzie and Maz being in if Vizquel isn't going to get in, too.

He's the exact same caliber defender as those two -- just as flashy as Ozzie, but without the pregame backflip or overwhelming fan support -- and a better hitter, a key cog to all those very good-to-great Indians teams in the mid-1990s.

12. Except one of the points in Oz's favor was the postseason moments of greatness. He also won a World Series, which Vizquel never did. Had Ozzie never won the title, he would not have been the lock he was, IMO.

Draft saved Draft deleted