1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Finally Wakes Up - Opens Up the Vault

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, May 31, 2013.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Finally, can see videos from yesteryear in the MLB channel at Youtube; (found this at Grantland)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MLBClassics?feature=watch

Rewatched the Gibson HR; still get chills (even as a Giants fan); forgot how good Eck was, he threw gas (why oh why then a slider?); I miss Vin and Garagiola.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I want to watch Game 6 of the 1985 World Series. That may be my favorite sports memory of my childhood.

3. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Game 7 of '85 is on the MLB AT Bat Classics app. I watched it the night it came out. The meltdowns by Whitey and Andujar on consecutive pitches are fucking priceless.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Those playoffs were my favorite of all-time. Granted, I was always a huge Royals fan and Brett was my favorite player, but that series with the Blue Jays and the World Series were two of my favorites.

If I remember correctly, Denkinger was behind home plate in Game 7 and Whitey's tirade in Game 7 had nothing to do with anything that happened in Game 7, it was just left over from the Game 6 call at first base. Priceless shit...

I hate to say it, but Bret Saberhagen was one of those guys who I was such a fan of as a kid, but as soon as I met him when I was a young journalist, I thought was a complete dick.

I met Brett while covering an all-star game early in my career and after interviewing him, I said, "Thanks for your time Mr. Brett, it's quite a thrill for me, you were my favorite player when I was a kid..." He looked at me and said something to the effect of, "Wow, thanks for making me feel really fucking old..."

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Watched some of GM 7 of the 1971 WS; boy they are so lucky nowadays, the fields are so pristine compared to before. BTW, Brooks Robinson was pretty good.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I was just watching some of that game.

Its like they took a tiller to the Memorial Stadium grass that fall (Colts playing, I know.) It wasn't any better in the 1979 World Series, either.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

From Wiki: In 2006, Saberhagen was named to the 2007 ballot for the Baseball Hall of Fame. He stated if he were voted in, he would not attend the ceremony because he believes Pete Rose should be inducted. Saberhagen finished with 7 votes. He was not eligible for next year's ballot.

"I SHOWED THEM!!!"

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

What a treasure trove. I haven't done any digging but have the other leagues done this? Like the NFL with the Super Bowls -- including the commercials? Listening to Vin and Garagiola stands the test of time. Al Michaels on Dave freakin' Henderson too.

10. Riptide

Paywall to see the classic games, right?

11. dieditor

dieditor Member

It's funny how the favorite sports memory of one person's childhood still stings another person. I was five and I could tell he blew that damn call.

12. Riptide

I knew a guy who was 12 or 14 at the time, and he threw a shoe though the kitchen window after that call.

Draft saved Draft deleted