1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB employee doesn't think Mike Trout gets enough attention

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 31, 2016.

1. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Who?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Trout is better than the next best player by a margin greater than that of any other athlete in any major sport.

I guess Verducci didn't watch the NBA playoffs. But is Trout really that much better than Altuve (2016) or Harper (2015) or Cabrera before that?

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

East Coast bias DOES exist and it has bothered me for decades. And this story is a prime example. An East Coast media guy comes to Anaheim and writes about the star player who is "going unappreciated ..." By whom? By you, the East Coast media guy!
    It is just a fact of life. The games are on late, but as a media rep, it is your job to be aware, regardless of what time the games are on. It's East Coast bias, plain and simple.
    I see just about all of the Angels games and, to their credit, the broadcast crews usually makes a point to find fans with Angels jerseys at the road games ... and there are a bunch ... and most are wearing Trout gear.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Verducci is ultra-connected but he's also a shill a la Peter King. Like someone said earlier, no, it's not MY problem that Trout isn't celebrated.

Verducci makes the argument that RGIII will get more attention -- well, yes he will, because America is obsessed with the NFL. It's not obsessed with baseball. I'm not saying that baseball isn't popular, it is -- regionally. Yes, no one on the East Coast is staying up to watch Trout play. But they will stay up for the second game of the ESPN doubleheader to open the NFL season.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Especially to watch Kaepernick on the AnthemCam.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Maybe Mike's mom emailed the author.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I can't believe it took 3 pages for this rant. I had you for a lot earlier than that.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The New York Times should hire Katrina Pierson as its lead writer covering the Trump campaign and have her write pieces about how Mike Pence doesn't get enough attention even though he's as American as apple pie, not like those Democrats and libertarian scumbags.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Can we talk about the fact that Mike Trout, while a brilliant player, has the personality of an avocado?

Barry Bonds was the best player on earth for a long ass time, and he played in the same time zone as Trout, and he sure as shit wasn't under-appreciated. He might have been unloved, even loathed, but for about a five year period, he was unbelievable and everyone in America knew it. Way before Twitter, people would be buzzing about his at bats every time he came to the plate. And his sass and his penchant for theatrics and for giving a middle finger to the world while ripping bombs into the Cove was incredible.

Mike Trout is just really good, and about as intellectually interesting as a door. And not even in a withholding Jeter kind of way. He's just a boring-ass jock. He doesn't even say controversial stuff, like women shouldn't be in the locker room, gays shouldn't marry, BlackLivesMatter, etc. If he did say that kind of stuff, even boneheaded things, if he banged models or singers and broke up with them in a public way where they wrote mean songs about him, more people would buzz about him.

Instead, he just mashes baseballs and gets on base all the time. He's one of those guys who you talk to for 15 minutes, you feel like you've had a good conversation, you go back and listen to the tape and there is almost nothing you can use. He seems like a super nice guy, maybe just too polite for the purposes Verduccui talks about.

If he played in New York, there would be all kinds of hosanas written about what a stoic leader he is, how he's reminiscent of Mantle's polite awe shucks brilliance (minus the crippling alcoholism), but it wouldn't make him more interesting.

Smash Williams likes this.
  11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It seems like it would fall on Verducci and others who are paid marketers for Major a League Baseball to work with him on that.

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

How much money did you lose in the East Coast Bias pool?
    I slept in today. But I read that story yesterday, so there was some time for it to stew. I wasn't going to bring it up until the other dude, DeskGrunt, said he didn't buy it, which shows how out of touch he is, too.
    Here's an example from hockey, which is more up your alley. Ask most media in the east about the Ducks and what will their comment be? Oh, they have Getzlaf and Perry, who are really good players. Period. If they spent a few minutes watching, they would know that Kesler was their best player last season and Lindholm and Vatanen are budding stars. But that would take a little effort.

Draft saved Draft deleted