1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB death watch: Who will be the first manager to be fired/quit?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, May 15, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

And even if he gives it up, I wonder how long before he decides the new manager ain't worth shit and he decided to get back in the dugout?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

He's got at least one college-aged kid, maybe two. He worked, what, 20-plus years in the bushes (minors and Pirates :) ) and flaked out on the Marlins and Rockies after he should have cashed in on his world championship. This is his last chance to make some serious coin. He ain't THAT burnt out to up and quit again.

3. rube

rube Active Member

Nah, I doubt he quits -- at least not midseason anyway --and there's no way they fire him. The division's been trash, but Cleveland is heating up. And if they let the Tribe pull too far ahead, it'll be curtains pretty quickly.

4. Nobody for Ned Yost? I certainly think he's a contender.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Didn't they inexplicably pick up his option for next year after last year's thud of a collapse?

I picture the Brewers eating Eric Gagne's $10 mil before they fire Yost, for some reason. though he's certainly done enough to warrant a pink slip.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

Think the Reds regret not giving Pete Mackanin the job he deserved?

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Washington by all rights should be unemployed right now.

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/sportatorium/2008/05/texas_rangers_making_contingen.php

The old school brutha' just isn't a Nolan guy. Neither is Johnny Boy. Both will be out on their keisters the minute it's convenient for Nolan to pull the trigger. That Texas has won 13 of 19 makes it inconvenient.

8. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I will gladly make sure the door hits Willie on the ass as he departs. If someone could make this happen I would be forever grateful. I know Aaron Heilman is trying but he can't do it alone!

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Leyland's been getting paid $2 million a year for the past two years, I suspect he's salted away enough jack to pay the tuition bills.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

no doubt.

But you're a longtime admirer of Larry Brown. You should know by now that too much is never ever close to enough. :D

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what an opportune time for death to chime in.

12. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I'd bet Gibbons, whoever threw his name out there.

Draft saved Draft deleted