1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB, can of worms, salary cap, dead horse

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Inarguable among those who enjoy repping ideas for real talk.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Man doesn't dig ideas.

Dubya, you still have five days to run this shithole.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Love Greg Norman.

Can't wait for The Masters. I was on vacation during the British.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'd say that was the idea.

5. Simon_Cowbell

You da man!

6. Simon_Cowbell

Unbelievably, you need this repeated:

The average TV market size of baseball playoff participants the past 10 seasons?

The average TV market size of NFL division winners the past 10 seasons?
    19.16 ... yes, more than double.

The mean TV market size for baseball's playoff teams?
    NFL?

The smallest TV market to make the baseball playoffs?
    29, the Brewers, this season

The number of NFL division winners whose TV market rank is below Milwaukee's?
    15. 15. 15.

That's three of them every two seasons from 1999-2008.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Damn you and your facts!

8. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Cap: 150 million
    Floor: 50 million

Yankees can still spend more than everyone but the Red Sox. Lower revenue teams can spend a decent amount and still make a profit. The gap between No. 1 and No. 30 is still large, but isn't as ridiculous as it is today.

Next issue.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

One thing that must skew those numbers somewhat is the fact that MLB has two playoff-contending teams in Los Angeles while the NFL doesn't even have a team there. The fact that each of the top three markets in America have two baseball teams, that can't help but skew the numbers too. And then you have Green Bay and Buffalo, which sink the NFL's TV market numbers -- MLB's smallest markets (if the numbers I looked at are right), are Cincy and Milwaukee.

If we knew what the average NFL and MLB market sizes were, that would help determine whether those posted numbers are significant. If MLB's average market size is, say, 10 places more than the NFL's, then you only pointed out the obvious because those numbers would be a reflection of league market sizes, not financial systems.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Here are some more sane opinions on the Yankees spending and the need for a salary cap:

"I have no problem with what they've done," Cubs chairman Crane Kenney said. "They've done it within the rules, within the confines of our agreement.
    "And if you look at the reality there, they've got a $1.3 billion stadium coming online," Kenney said. "They were probably relying on Wall Street to fill a lot of those seats. And they missed the playoffs for the first time in 13 years. So their reaction is probably similar to what I would do, which is, you've got to put a compelling product on the field when you open the doors of that new ballpark, and that's what they did."

Oakland owner Lew Wolff's team recently agreed to a one-year, $5.25 million year with Jason Giambi, who had bolted Oakland after the 2001 season to sign a $120 million, seven-year contract with the Yankees.
    Asked if the Yankees' spending concerned him, Wolff replied, "I probably should say it does, but to me it doesn't because, frankly, the more visible they are - they are baseball, traditionally. And they're not doing anything different than they've done traditionally for years.
    "I think they benefit all of us more than they hurt us," Wolff said.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I too am posting once in this thread and then getting out of the way.

It is NOT WORTH ARMAGEDDON. There is a faction out there that would love to see the game get shut down for a slightly larger chance to compete. The problem with this is a lockout, if one occurs, would likely last two years and would make the NHL's year-long stoppage look like a midget compared to it.

In that two years, thousands of lost jobs would occur. At the parks. In MLB. People wouldn't travel to cities to see their team in action. Lost tourism dollars. And those dollars would come back eventually, but when??

The overall health of the sport would take a huge hit. It might make 1994-95 look like a drop in the bucket. It might take years to recover, and you wouldn't have the McGwire/Sosa summer of 98 to fall back on.

Install a cap and then what happens if the Yankees rattle off three straight World Series titles? Then THE ARGUMENT IS WORTHLESS. And those of us that didn't want a cap would wonder why the hell we went through this in the first place.

No thanks. Tell the small-market teams to shaddap and keep playing. They'll get their luxury-tax money and revenue sharing. USE THAT MONEY.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Who here is calling for a work stoppage? That may be a result if there is a fight, but you are taking the extreme option to try to illustrate your point.

Draft saved Draft deleted