1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB All-Stars: Too stupid to count, but it does

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Jul 1, 2012.

1. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere, but I still don't totally get why LaRussa is managing at all. I know MLB is citing the John McGraw Rule that allows a retired manager to come back for the All-Star game, but I just don't see the sense in it.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Phillips is by far the better fielder.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Honestly, I'd have to take your word for that. I really don't know much about Altuve's fielding at this point.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Just look up his dWAR.

5. outofplace

Well played

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think Reggie Jackson made the team one year with a sub-.200 batting average, so it's not like it's never happened, but Adam Dunn's selection with an average hovering at around .210 for a while now certainly shows that the on-base percentage revolution is pretty much complete.

Last year he was one of the worst players in baseball history.

This year he's an All-Star.

Crazy.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

There's grumbling in Cincy that LaRussa exacted some revenge by leaving Phillips off, and they may have a point. There's no way there are two 2B in the NL better than Phillips.

8. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Is there any reason whatsoever why the doldrums of baseball need to have representatives? The Padres suck, and Street has pitched all of 21 innings this season.

I swear, this happens almost every year the game is close- we're left with forgotten turds from the Orioles and Pirates battling against each other while one of the two managers inevitably forgets that he's got a stud on his bench from a good team that's already had players play. Enough.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

What you're saying is that seeing McCutchen and Adam Jones isn't worthy of your time.

For the most part, I'd rather see them than the face of the week from ESPN's Sunday night Yankees-Red Sox game.

10. outofplace

Except Hill and Altuve are right there offensively. And really, it only has to be one who is better since Uggla was voted in.

11. joe

joe Active Member

Make it Ginsu knives, and it's a deal.

One thing about Lance Lynn making the team: It was the players who picked Lynn, not the fans or La Russa. And La Russa is managing because Selig asked him to do it.

12. outofplace

I assume he meant that for years that neither team had a worthy representative, but didn't bother to look at the quality of player they are sending this year. If anything, the Pirates had guys who were unfairly snubbed. James McDonald has a 2.44 ERA and Joel Hanrahan is third in the NL with 20 saves and has a 2.10 ERA. But Hanrahan probably lost the spot he deserved to Street so they could get a Padre on the team.

Draft saved Draft deleted