1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB All-Star Break Awards / Predictions

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chris17, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Respectfully, no. Have wasted too much time here and elsewhere on the matter.

If anything has emerged to be meaningless, it's the debate.

2. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Tkae your own advice. I already posted saying your 6 of 10 is just flat out wrong. Arod is the last guy to win the MVP on a non-playoff team. That was back in 2003. So the 2004, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, and 10 MVP's were on playoff teams. That's seven in a row, making your 6 of 10 impossible. READ, then back away from this thread and hope people forgive you for making this your grand entrance to the forum.

3. Chris17

Chris17 Member

Goodness man. Do your research.

Yes, my complete guess "by my count" was actually off. It was 5 of the last 10 years (including 3 since A-Rod). I forgot the 09 Twins made the playoffs on the play in game. So it's 5 in the last 10 years:

2001 SF Giants - Barry Bonds
    2003 Texas Rangers - Alex Rodriguez
    2004 SF Giants - Barry Bonds
    2006 Philadelphia Phillies - Ryan Howard
    2008 St Louis Cardinals - Albert Pujols

So that's 5 out of the last 20 awards. So in baseball terms, the statement "it doesn't take a playoff team to get the MVP" therefore has an AVG of .250. .... oh wait.... i forgot avg is meaningless....

but wait! In 2003, can I weight that one by x4 since ARod was on a 4th place team?? What about 08 for Pujols? If I can weight for power, then... hold on lemme do the math.... the statement comes out with a .550 slugging percentage!! That makes it a much better statement!

4. Chris17

Chris17 Member

If the above post doesnt make it clear - that was a joke - that I'm over this.... then let this post make that clear. I admitted I was wrong earlier because you presented facts that proved me as such. Now, you do the same with the MVP business, and everybody's happy. We can all go back to work and enjoy the Classic tonight. Good day adversaries.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Dungeons and Dragons used to be more fun than this.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

And that was even quasi-social.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

fair enough

Draft saved Draft deleted