1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB All-Star Break Awards / Predictions

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chris17, Jul 11, 2011.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

and of course that is what we are saying

2. Chris17

Chris17 Member

out of place -

"It is just hard to keep reading when some gooftball tries to argue that home runs, slugging percentage and walks should not be considered when evaluating a hitter."

The way you twist my words is truly comical.

I never ever said that home runs, slugging, and walks should not be considered. I said that there are other indicators that show the strength of an individual hitter. Like I mentioned above, for any given time they walk to the plate, Gonzalez is 50 points more likely to get a hit than Bautista. Why is that hard to understand. Want to factor in walks? Fine. Then he's 20 points more likely. A hitter saying "well, my batting aver is 20 points lower than his, but my slugging is 50 points higher" isn't going to earn him a spot on the team. Don't believe me? Look at Chris Davis and Mitch Moreland duking it out for first base at the Texas Rangers. Davis had better slugging numbers, but Moreland was the better hitter. Know why Davis had better slugging numbers? A ton of home runs. Know who got the job?

3. Chris17

Chris17 Member

JC - "why shouldn't it count as 4 times a single, Jesus Christ man"

When measuring a hitter's power, it can. When measuring a hitter's likelihood to get a hit, it should not.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

this is so flawed it's comical. The sad thing is you truly believe this nonsense

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

please explain.

One question for you, would those players leading each league in RBI have the same number of RBI if they say played on the Mariners?

6. Chris17

Chris17 Member

JC - Give two guys 500 At Bats.

Jimmy hits 62 home runs, breaking the non-steroids record! He adds to that 10 singles. He has 72 hits in 500 At Bats.

Harry hits 205 base hits. He adds to that another 20 doubles. He has 225 hits in 500 At Bats.

Who do you want on your team?

But...... Who has a higher Slugging Percentage?

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

My god man, did I say you just look at slg? Are you sure you aren't Devil 93's sock puppet, that comparison is ridiculous. Please stay in the land of believable.

8. Chris17

Chris17 Member

Wait..... did you just equate that Blue Jays offense - the 4th best in the American League - to the Mariner's offense - the worst in all of baseball??? My goodness you're desperate.

And btw..... no, you didn't say "just look at slg". But I'm showing you that the statistic can be wildly flawed by home runs. And it is not a good indicator a successful or consistent hitter. I'll take your response to mean you agree with that statement.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Nowhere did I compare the 2, can you not read? I asked if the RBI leaders would have the same amount of RBI's if they played on the Mariners.

10. Chris17

Chris17 Member

You accused me of equating Jose Bautista to Adam Dunn. That was my payback.

:)

I gotta get back to work so I can actually watch the game tonight. Peace out.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Well your payback was made up.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Absolutely. And in what period are you comparing Davis and Moreland? Spring Training? Career? Please, fill is in so I can properly gut your foolish point.

And yes, you did dismiss home runs, slugging and walks. If you want to change your argument now, that's fine, but don't think we won't notice.

You think RBI is a better way to evaluate the strength of an individual hitter than home runs, slugging and walks? Are you really that dense? Of the four categories in this paragraph, the hitter can control three -- home runs, walks and slugging. He cannot control RBI, but you think that is the better individual measure?

Draft saved Draft deleted