1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Luis Arraez hits the weakest .325 possible. He has no speed, no power, doesn't walk (or strike out) and hasn't scored 90 runs in a season despite leading off. So the Padres trade three top prospects and a reliever for him? I don't get that trade at all.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Better than Pablo Lopez.

I’ve always thought Arraez was kind of a fraud. All those times on base for Florida last year (240 between hits and walks) and just 71 runs scored. Who’s fault, his or every other Marlin?

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And the streak ends of trailing in every game ends at 31 for the Rockies.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Vaughn was a starter, though. He just came into the playoff as a reliever because Lou’s went with Harris as he had more experience.

Still, it’ll be interesting to see what happens if the A’s actually contend.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

How could that be Arraez's fault? He didn't steal home often enough? I have posted before about seeing what I regard as the ultimate Ichiro/Mariners game in 2004. Ichiro went four for four with four singles. He stole second four times. He did not score a run. I'm pretty sure I know whose fault that was.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Can't imagine they won't stage a fire sale as they have almost every year in the last 20 (or in many ways, most of the last 110)

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What good is he if he gets on base all the time and doesn’t score?

maumann likes this.
  8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Yeah, and what good is a starter with a sub-2.00 ERA if his won-loss record is 9-11?

outofplace likes this.
  9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Against who else but the Pirates! I told you they stunk @outofplace but you insisted on remaining typically optimistic. :D

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He is excellent. His team is not. He can't control the production of the players around him. His average on-base percentage over the last three seasons is .376. It was .393 last year. He is a little off pace at .347 this year, but it's early and he is only 27. If you can't see the value in that, I can't help you.

melock likes this.
  11. outofplace

My best guess is they don't like those prospects as much as others do and they think he is a big upgrade over Wade and whoever else has been filling in at third. They aren't shy about moving players around. Either Machado is ready to start playing regularly at third or they will move Kim or someone else there until he is, freeing up a spot int he lineup for Arraez.

maumann likes this.
  12. outofplace

Nice try, but we both know I'm not an optimist. lol

Draft saved Draft deleted