1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Holy shit, a D.A.R.Y.L. reference in 2024!!!!

Fred siegle and bumpy mcgee like this.
  2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Lou Brown took that ragamuffin bunch of slaps to the American East title back when Cleveland was in a division with the Yankees, Boston and Toronto and no interleague play. Team didn't even have a functioning team airplane or hot water in the showers.

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I can appreciate a lifer like Durham Bulls manager Joe Riggins at the helm too.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
    2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

In a related matter, J.D. Martinez might finally make his Mets debut later this week. But yes! Let's keep keeping stars sidelined into March and wonder why they get hurt upon returning to the field!

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, I’d vote for Lou too as manager. On the one hand, I have to wonder how a guy managed the Toledo Mud Hens for 30 years and never got a sniff of any other MLB openings.

On the other hand, I have to question the judgment of Pop Fisher, who not only found himself in a ridiculous position of having to win a pennant or lose his entire stock and his job with the Knights, but also wasn’t willing to even give the middle-aged rookie time for batting practice until he walked out of a team meeting with a psychiatrist.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Give GM to the person running the Racine Belles, who swung a mid-season trade for the pitcher that won the championship without giving up a player that even cracked the Rockford lineup in return.

bumpy mcgee likes this.
  8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I thought of him as I was working through the thread, but I also was stumped on his position. He started out at shortstop, but he was in center field on that fateful day. Tab Hunter was the actor. The Devil was Ray Walston, whose lookalike was umpiring first base last night in Anaheim (Lance Barksdale).

Not to be forgotten in the player/manager category, starting pitcher Stud Cantrell of the Tampico Stogies, played by William Petersen.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
  9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, then RF has to go to Les Nessman, five-time winner of the Buckeye Newshawk Award. Because he did, after all, make The Catch.

[​IMG]

Huggy likes this.
  10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

If we were to add TV, it's a no brainer what the perfect line up is

SP Roger Clemens
    C Mike Scioscia
    1B Don Mattingly
    2B Steve Sax
    3B Wade Boggx
    SS Ozzie Smith
    LF Jose Canseco
    CF Ken Griffey, Jr.
    RF Darryl Strawberry
    Bench Homer Simpson
    Lenny Leonard
    Carl Carlson
    SNPP Guy 1
    SNPP Guy 2
    SNPP Guy 3
    SNPP Guy 4
    SNPP Guy 5
    SNPP Guy 6
    SNPP Guy 7​

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Jimmy Duggan, who once complained he didn't have ballplayers, he had girls, probably wouldn't even be considered.

12. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Brilliant strategy telling Strawberry to hit a home run.

Spartan Squad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted