1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2022: The Long and Winding Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Mar 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

"How you going to pound that Budweiser tonight if you don't fight that ham today?" - Joe Schultz, misquoted.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I have to think the shrinking of the minors and their efforts to stall a player from gaining free agency as long as possible are two parts of the same piece. As college baseball has improved, with more top players going to college (just a third of first round picks were HS players), MLB teams are a) relying on their play in college to deliver a better prospect for potential MLB success with more data and less risk involved in drafting them, and b) they aren't paying for those years of development and c) they'll still stick a guy from college in the minors for two years meaning by the time they DO hit their FA year, they'll be 29 or so and the team probably enjoyed the bulk of their productivity under the team control.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2022
    Fdufta and maumann like this.
  3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Quite a weekend for this kid:

4. DanOregon

Is there any sport that Texas used to be good in that they still are good in?

5. TheSportsPredictor

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

WTF has happened to Cody Bellinger? I'm pretty concerned if I'm the Dodgers.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

As there's a drive into deep left field

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The long and winding road

That leads to the Astros and Dodgers in the WS

9. TheSportsPredictor

Pujols returning to the Cardinals.

10. DanOregon

The manager heard and said, ah, that's nice....wait? For the whole YEAR? Not just a one-day deal?
    But I get it - the best fans in baseball will be able to stomach the DH if its Pujols.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Pujols is expected to be a left-hand DH and pinch-hitter when needed, per ESPN. I expect he will retire after this season.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Verlander: 4.0 IP, 3H, 0R, 62 pitches, top speed 96.
    Houston leads Nats 2-0.

Draft saved Draft deleted