1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2022: The Long and Winding Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Mar 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

What is Yordan even doing in the outfield? So dumb.

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

If this is true, Close should be suspended as an agent. And I fully understand why Freeman is upset.

2muchcoffeeman and jr/shotglass like this.
  3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

My prediction: He's traded back to the Braves before his contract is up.

Yeah, yeah, I know, poor guy having to play for one of the best teams in baseball, but if an agent is being dishonest with his client about negotiations, he's gotta go.

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Also, "isn't that rare"? Agents are keeping offers from their clients? What the actual fuck?

If a lawyer kept a plea/settlement offer from a client, they could be disbarred.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Boras is Michael Conforto's agent. The final buck rests with Conforto, but Boras sure as hell didn't read the room very well when they turned down a multi-year, $100-million + offer from the Mets, or even the one-year, $18.4 million qualifying offer.

So now he's hurt and earning $0 this year, one of the few prime earning years he has left since he'll be 30 next spring.

Boras says he could sign with anyone after the draft, beause the Mets then won't get a compensatory pick. But who believes Boras?

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Scott Boras has probably 7 MLB teams as his principal contacts. The 2 NY teams, the 2 Chicago teams, the 2 LA teams, and a seventh team divided between the Red Sox and whichever second-tier owner who decided to go for it. In 2001 it was Tom Hicks and the Rangers on A-Rod.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Bingo!!

I don't know how an agent could in good conscience do that. If this is true, Close and his agency are certainly open to a lawsuit for damages for breach of fiduciary duty (of course Freeman has to show lost $$ and other damages and emotional distress is not one of them, nor is general frustration.)

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

When I wrote my post above, I did not think this was even a possibility. What a clown, you don't think word will get back to Freeman somehow?

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He plays out there a bit less than half the time, 31 of Houston's 74 games this season. I wonder if he is one of those guys who hits better when he also plays the field.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Mark Appel with a scoreless inning in his MLB debut. A bit of a goose-bump moment there.

sgreenwell, HanSenSE and maumann like this.
  11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

How about that, Josh Naylor.

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted