1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018 regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Among the also-rans ...

* Twins finish off sweep of White Sox, giving the AL three 100-loss teams to go with three 100-win teams.

* Rays reach 90 wins, finishing 87-60 after losing 12 of their first 15 games. They still finished 18 games back of Boston. Tampa finished just one back of AL Central champion Cleveland.

* Three NL teams — Pittsburgh, Washington and Arizona — finish with 82 wins.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Also of note: The Orioles finished 61 games behind the Red Sox, making them the first team since the 1962 Mets -- and only the seventh since 1900 -- to finish at least 60 games out of first place.

3. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Everyone knew his denial was based on him not wanting the attention of a farewell tour. As far as I know he did not single out Ken Rosenthal, give him a pass.

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

That the first time there's been three 100-loss teams or three 100-win teams in the same league?

5. Just the facts ma am

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Dodgers or L.A. Dodgers?? Campanella was better than all of 'em. Yeager was better than Torborg.

7. Just the facts ma am

L. A.

Yeager is a strong number four. I give Torborg the edge for the no-hitters.

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Point taken, but you have to give Yeager some points for coming back after he got a piece of a bat stuck in his freakin' neck.

9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Of course, now that Scioscia has made it official, I have to throw in my two cents:

Yes, the last few years, save for the 2014 regular season, have been lousy, and I agree it's best for the Angels to make a change at manager now. And he hasn't always been perfect, as posters on this board, past and present, love to point out.
    However, there's no denying that the Angels' best stretch, and their only World Series title, came under his leadership, and that was no coincidence. And beyond that, during his first decade, he gave the team stability and a real identity and a style of play they could call their own. That they got away from that post-2010 is part of the reason they're in the situation they're in now.
    Like I said, he hasn't been perfect, but in all, I think the Angels organization was better for his being in it, and I wish him the best going forward.

10. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

AL Central also has three of the top five draft picks
    Royals 2, White Sox 3, Tigers 5
    Orioles are 1 and Marlins 4
    AL homer champ Khris Davis hit .247 for the fourth straight season
    Tigers had the No. 1 pick this year with the same record

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

An analogy that only means something to me, but Scioscia = Phil Fulmer...brought his franchise/program to the promised land, sniffed around a few more times, rapidly deteriorated then hung around way past their sell-by-date simply because they could.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.